News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual Proficiency Badge Item...milk pitchers?

kaigunair

Nice! :cheers:

I don't think that these are post-war items ...

Looks like they were made in silver and were once a part of a nice tableware set ;)

I don't think that various groups on the IJN ships had their own serving sets, but there could be one large silver tableware set (privately commissioned by officers) that was used during solemn events.

Cheers,

Nick

I may be wrong.... but maybe somone put the badges on the pitchers to make them more interesting before selling them?

I remember reading somewhere that Milk and Milk products barely featured in Chinese/Japanese diets up until the latter half of the 20th century... So I guess Milk Jugs for the cornflakes on the Yamamoto in 1939 are a long shot....

I may be wrong.... but maybe somone put the badges on the pitchers to make them more interesting before selling them?

By this low quality picture these superimposed "badges" look quite authentic.

BTW, two original badges will easily cost $1200+

I remember reading somewhere that Milk and Milk products barely featured in Chinese/Japanese diets up until the latter half of the 20th century... So I guess Milk Jugs for the cornflakes on the Yamamoto in 1939 are a long shot....

Don't forget that they are still using sticks instead of forks and spoons :lol:

It is very probable/possible that the badges ARE original... but many collectors have Veteran trophy badges where the Veteran cut the pins and backings off to glue them to a board.... makes them hard to sell, compared to an untouched original...

One solution would to put them on a milk jug....

...but many collectors have Veteran trophy badges where the Veteran cut the pins and backings off to glue them to a board....

Many collectors?!

Do you mean collectors of japanese Navy proficiency badges or collectors of german badges? ;)

One solution would to put them on a milk jug....

Definitely! :lol:

I mean all badges.

I have seen German, Russian, French, South Africa, US etc. etc. ad nauseum badges where the fittings have been removed so they can be glued, soldered, sewn onto cigarette cases, wooden boards, belts etc. etc...

There is no reason why this could not happen to japanese badges...

interesting pieces after seeing mess and wardroom collections on larger royal navy warships it wouldnt surprise me if the jugs were shipboard items they also look a bit older than the tongs and napkin rings a number of very similar ijn marked knives forks and spoons and sugar tongs recently sold here in nz seller noted that they were a vet bring back ? nick seeing you mentioned price of these badges i picked up this one in australia for $40

nick seeing you mentioned price of these badges i picked up this one in australia for $40

That's one nice pick up! Even the ordinary sharpshooting badge in lower class sometimes will cost twice as much.

Congratulations! :beer:

P.S. With these prices I really should move to Australia ;)

thanks nick, bar swords helmets and bayonets, medals and badges are under collected here with strange variations in price ie meili 7th class golden kite medal and case with 1906 award document sold for $140NZ against a common china incident medal no case sold for $ 80nz fyi nz dollar .80 cents to us dollar

The bottom of the jugs are marked "NS" and "Juichiya". I also thought at first that these could be post war put togethers. At the same time, the insignias were applied pretty nicely, and they were bent/formed seeming well to the shape of the curve of the pitchers without damaging the badges. The milk pitches themselves seem of some quality. I guess we'll never know unless some photos show up with this type of item laid out on a mess table. If this is a post war "bubba" job, it would be a shame since these 2nd class badges are $$ on their own. Now if they were 1st class badges, I'd have laid out some $$$ for them... :love:

At the same time, the insignias were applied pretty nicely, and they were bent/formed seeming well to the shape of the curve of the pitchers without damaging the badges.

Exactly ;)

+

Looks like these "badges" have some stamp differences from original ones...

If this is a post war "bubba" job, it would be a shame since these 2nd class badges are $$ on their own.

Not in Australia they aren't :whistle:

Cheers,

Nick