News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Naval...what?

Chris Boonzaier

I bought this some years ago in a junk shop in Singapore. Someone mentioned it was for donations to the Japanese Ship/Fleet building (Anchor on the back).

It looks to be gold plated silver.

Can anyone tell me from when? Were there different grades? Any other info?

Thanks

Chris

The badge on the left was awarded for financial donations to building IJN in 1890s(?)-1900s.

The box on the right looks like box for red cross order made in early 1890s.

I wonder if there is a usual additional small column of gold kanji at the back of the box (left lower conner).

Hi,

Are there different levely of the badge? The examples I found are way, way, cheaper and ugliee than this one.

the box is a definate fit for the badge, unless the red cross had exactly the same format badge, I think it belongs to this.

Can anyone read the writing on the box?

(There is writing on the back. lower left)

Best

Chris

Are there different levely of the badge? The examples I found are way, way, cheaper and ugliee than this one.

As far as I know: no grades - only two variations.

The one that you showed (with portrait of admiral at obverse) and one with battle ship at obverse (more common variation) .

Both variations have same reverse with anchor. But only your variation has additional intermediate decorative element between the badge and the pin. Well, maybe it is indeed higher class for enormous donations ... :)

the box is a definate fit for the badge, unless the red cross had exactly the same format badge, I think it belongs to this.

That's something new! Never saw this badge in such (early type) box. Usually your badge could be found inside wooden box (with purple cushion). The right column of kanji at box cover is indeed different from kanji at boxes for red cross.

The box has purple interior of course... Please show how the fitting looks like ;)

Regards,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

The various grades and definitions are coming up in my next newsletter (shameless plug). Five grades of the ship badges, four grades of the badge you have, and four grades of the member badges.

Sorry to be secretive, but my newsletter is a paid subscription. (1080 yen for 12 issues). Again, sorry for the advertisement.

The various grades and definitions are coming up in my next newsletter (shameless plug). Five grades of the ship badges, four grades of the badge you have, and four grades of the member badges.

13 different badges?!

Nice! :lol:

That's explain such gorgeous box ;)

Hello Everyone,

I'm posting my specimen of the Naval Funding Badge, which is one of the common examples. This one came in a wooden box and you can see the attachment loop sewen into the purple backing material to hold the badge in place.

Regards

Brian

This one came in a wooden box and you can see the attachment loop sewen into the purple backing material to hold the badge in place.

Yep, this is the box I was talking about earlier.

"Admiral" badges also could be found in these boxes.

Edited by JapanX

OK, in the spirit of 'forum sharing' I offer this:

Five grades of the ship badges, four grades of the badge you have, and four grades of the member badges.

Is that in the 'spirit'?

Sheesh...

You're welcome.

Five grades of the ship badges, four grades of the badge you have, and four grades of the member badges.

Is that in the 'spirit'?

Sheesh...

You're welcome.

I may be a bit dense but.. there are 13 badges, and 4 grades of the badge I have... but what badge DO I have? and which grade is it?

This Japanese stuff ist too esoteric for me... ;-)

Whatever. Yours is the third highest of the four. Now, as before, you know more than before you posted the pic. A simple 'thanks' would be fine.

I guess I shouldn't even bother to post anything.

Whatever. Yours is the third highest of the four. Now, as before, you know more than before you posted the pic. A simple 'thanks' would be fine.

I guess I shouldn't even bother to post anything.

Please don't take that attitude, your posts are very valuable. Before this series of posts I thought there were only two varieties of these badges and I also assumed that they all came in wooden boxes. I know assumptions are the not in keeping with serious research, so I've once again been remind not to make them.

Other than this forum I have only "In the Name of a Living God" (Murphy & Ackley) and "Orders and Medals of Japan and Associated States" (Peterson) as reference material. Therefore, I thank the half dozen serious collectors of Japanese medals and badges on this forum for your assistance. By the way I see one glaring mistake in Peterson's book that I will bring up for discussion on another post at a later time to get your input so please do not be put off. Your participation is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Brian

Is that in the 'spirit'?

Sheesh...

You're welcome.

Thank you for sharing fukuoka. I found this thread very informative.

Over the years I have found the Japanese awards and decorations more and more interesting.

This forum has provided a great source for information, that leads new collectors to inquire more, and existing collectors to delve deeper. This can result in greater attention and interest in this field.

When information is hidden or hard to verify, it is discouraging to new collectors. They can become frustrated and eventually become less interested. Your newsletter is probably just that "link" to early interests to indepth research.

I wouldn't apologize for plugging you newsletter. In fact, I would advertise that you have newsletter on the bottom of all of your posts (as part of your Signature) and what you can expect to learn inside.

After just a "taste" of the information that you provide online, new or existing collectors may want to have access to the delicious details. The real "meat" of the story.

So....regarding the Donations to the fleet building medal....any of those donations used to build ships that were used at the Battle of Tsushima? ;)

"Third highest of the four!"

Ungrateful :lol:

P.S. Are you planing to sell this piece? :whistle:

You mean the piece where I have no idea what it is, other than it is the 3rd highest of 4?????

There are 5 possibilities of what i will do with this piece... I must inform you I have chosen the 2nd possibility.

Best

Chris

FWIW - Rich's newsletter is very good, a real bargain if you ask me, definitely worth the subscription price.

Hi,

If I had any intention of collecting japanese medals I would maybe have considered a subscription, but as I have a total sum of one japanese item, basically in my "travel collection" i.e. things I pick up on holiday and in no way conected to my collecting fields, it is hardly worth it. I am simply trying to find out what it is.

JapanX, will get a pic of the box this weekend when i get home and have a moment.

Best

Chris

Re-read the posts and saw that my answers could have been interpreted as being evasive--and a bit jerky. Sorry. I guess it would've been better to post nothing since I merely irritated the OP. However, OP, you did learn the grade of the badge, right? And you learned how many grades there were, right? Not particularly useless info. Your responses were somewhat thankless, but, as I said, perhaps I caused that.

If I weren't about to offer a detailed description of all grades of the badges to my newsletter subscribers next issue, I probably wouldn't have been so slippery in my replies.

Sorry to all participating posters for the needless agitation.

Cheers,

Rich

Re-read the posts and saw that my answers could have been interpreted as being evasive--and a bit jerky. Sorry. I guess it would've been better to post nothing since I merely irritated the OP. However, OP, you did learn the grade of the badge, right? And you learned how many grades there were, right? Not particularly useless info. Your responses were somewhat thankless, but, as I said, perhaps I caused that.

If I weren't about to offer a detailed description of all grades of the badges to my newsletter subscribers next issue, I probably wouldn't have been so slippery in my replies.

Sorry to all participating posters for the needless agitation.

Cheers,

Rich

"merely irritated"?? "needless agitation" ?? Oh, I hardly think so. Besides you will have to work much, MUCH harder to irritate as many members on this forum than I have. Can I get agreement on this to fukuoka? Right Chris? Right JapanX? Spasm for one will jump to the head of the line.

Now, I understand you have a paid subscription to this kind information, but how amazing is it that Chris brought up the very badge you were going to discuss in your very next issue.

I don't know how many subscribers you currently have. But just imagine how you give some basic facts about this badge and segue to the fact that your very next issue will cover this in more detail. Not to mention that to all the Japanese collectors out there that here is a resource you can tap into. You could increase your subscribers.

As for thankless, or no responses...we (the queen's we) are all guilty of this :whistle: .