News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish War Medal - European Manufactured Examples

Aberdeen Medals

Considering the growth of interest in the Turkish War Medal see below - and in the following post - a couple of European manufactured (?) items that may be of interest to collectors in their ongoing research into the different variants of these variant medals.

I believe that both the examples shown are either German or Austrian manufactured items, and may be of interest view the quality, markings and construction styles of these medals

The first TWM illustrated has no makers mark on the reverse. It does however have the number '950' stamped on the lower base immediately above the retention clasp for the vertical pin.

Curiously the obverse 'Iron Crescent' is not applied to the plate but appears to a fixed part of the plate / planchet, as I can see no rim or seal around the rim of the crescent. As such the rivets on the back plate are only there to secure the central applied obverse devices.

I woudl be interested to know if anyone can positively ID the maker.

As information.

Mark

Here's the second TWM for reference / identification

This one has a makers mark on the reverse centre, and a silver mark (?) number below '925'.

The reverse plate is of 9 x rivet construction - the 9th rivet being placed immediately under the base of the retention clasp for the vertical pin.

Can anyone positively ID the manufacturer of this one?

As information.

Mark

Hi,

First one nice looking but the tughra and the pseudonym has been done very wrong and done by an amateur.

The second one with the makers mark is: P.MEYBAUER - Berlin. Very good condition.

Regards

Demir

Demir,

Thanks for your reply - and especially for possitively identifying the manufacturer of the second TWM listed and illustrated above.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the manufactuerer of the first illustrated piece did not pay attention to detail with regards to applying the correct date - no excuses for that, as the medal is otherwise of excellent quality / craftsmanship. I understand however that such oversights by continental manufacturers in applying erroneous Tughras / dates was not uncommon.

I'm expecting another TWM later this week, that is coming to me from the estate of a long dead British Officer who had fought in Mesopotamia during the Great War, and is almost certainly a war-souvnir. If on seeing the TWM I note anything different or peculiar I will post details and pcitures here for members interest / comments.

Regards.

Mark

Thanks for the confirmation of manufacturer of the second TWM illustrated above - and the recommendation regards the TWM book.

Although not a European manufactured item, I thought I would add below folloiwing / attached as contrast, and for reference.

Earlier today I took receipt of an archive containing medals of a British officer of the Indian Army who was twice decorated with the Military Cross for fighting in Mesopotamia (Iraq) during the Great War. Inclued in the archive was below illustrated TWM (also a nice length of silk ribbon, which appears as issued). I suspect the British Officer acquired the TWM while on active service.

Some small loss of paint detail on obverse, and the reverse clasp for the pin is broken, but still a decent Turkish made example of the TWM.

As information.

Hi Demir,

Thanks for confirming that the third TWM above illustrated is an official original Turkish Mint issue.

Below is a picture of the same TWM with the silk ribbon that came with it. I suspect this is the original silk ribbon as issued. It measures approx 155mm, and in the picture is folded in half.

In your experience would you say the ribbon is the original issue length / type?

In advance thanks for any reply on the ribbon.

Mark

PS: I have today ordered a copy of your book, and am looking forward to a good read in due course when it arrives

Hi,

These are the ribbons seen with the Medal. The width must be 20 mm according to the regulation article: 4 (though I have never seen one).

Comparing the ribbon you show here with the medal (56 mm) the ribbon seems to be 30 mm wide or very close (Am I correct). Generally the ones used are 30 mm.

You may see differences in the width and placement of the white stripes.

According to Dr.K.G. Klietmann's 1961 article on the subject the red ribbon is 30 mm wide and 5 mm wide white stripes located 2 mm inset on both sides. The definition perfectly matches the EK2 ribbon except the color. In his 1976 article he gave these figures as 29 mm, 5 mm and 25 mm.

So is this the official ribbon? : No

Did I see an official ribbon according to the regulation? : No

What is this ribbon then? : This is the one generally used

Demir

PS: Thanks for your interest in my book