News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

There are two types known of this award. The first is die struck (or die "forged" ) and has separately applied hook and hinge and an oval recess behind the central motif similar to that found with Luft Flight Clasps.

When first stamped out the planchette has excess "flashing" of metal in the centre and around the edges, which is removed with a cropping tool, this giving the edges a "sheared" look just like regular tombak die struck awards.

The wording on the reverse also differs in the first patter. On the left is "ENTW. / PEEKHAUS / BERLIN in three lines of text.

It is common for part of the text to be obscured by solder and the letter "T" in ENTW is usually very faint.

Edited by Gordon Williamson

Note the difference in wording on the second type. "ENTWURF written as a full word, and only two lines of text "BERLIN" having been omitted.

On the right, the "SW" (for S?dwest= South West) is missing.

Note the bottom of the pin always seems to rub away the letter "I" in SCHWERIN

Edited by Gordon Williamson

Excellent info and great scans Gordon! What exactly did one have to do to be awarded these badges?.....was it number of missions only?

Also what are the current prices for both grades and types?

Cheers

Dave

This is great stuff Gordon.

I now feel I know some important facts about these clasps although I've never actually held one or taken the time to look at them in detail in the past.

Tony

Dave, as to the criteria for being awarded these, the reality seems to have been it was on the recommendation of the U-Boat captain as to which members of his crew he felt were most deserving. There wasn't the sort of laid down criteria as for the bronze/silver/gold Luft flight clasps that these resemble.

One German Cross winner I spoke to said he really rated the Bronze version but felt that in the last days, the silver were given out more freely if you happened to be at the right place at the right time. Bottom line really though was that anyone who actually lived long enough to get one in the late days of the war was a bit special.

Guest Darrell

Gordon,

Very nice .... I guess you could say all I need is the E-Boat 1st Pattern and these guys in Bronze and Silver and I'd have the set of KM Badges.

P.S. ... that uncut badge in the first post .. is that yours? If so, where did you aquire it? Fasinating stuff smile.gif

Edited by Darrell