News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

............................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-6209-0-18074800-1350657564.jpg...............................................

This strange item is the ID neck badge for a Prisoner of War of the Germans.

The purpose of the perforations and the double set of numbers, is that in case of death

it is broken in half and one side went to the Red Cross to advise family and the other

half to German authorities.

In this case you can clearly see his internment number - and that he was in

Stalag 9C (1X). His name is Peter van Vlerk.

I met him earlier this week - he is now 93 years of age and living in sheltered housing.

At the time of his capture he was a Lieutenant with the South African Air Force - serving

with the Squadron 34. They and one other Sq. were flying Liberators - an American

Bomber that carried a crew of 8.

They were flying ops. into Hungary and were on their way to attack the Marshalling

Yards at Zumbethly (this spelling may need correction). When nearly over the target a

German plane flying above them illuminated flares. This was sufficient for ground

anti-aircraft to hit them. Out of the 8 crew all were killed - except Lt. van Vlerk -

who was a gunner. He was badly wounded and was taken to hospital (another

dodgy spelling - neither of us was sure ) at a place called Uburmarsfeld.

When he had recovered sufficiently he was taken to Stalag 9C - which was at

Zumbethly.

His medals are with his Grandchildren - which is where they should be. The ID and his

WW2 Sam Browne cross belt - with date 1942 - they didn't need and he wants them to

go to a collector . I wish more people were as sensible.

It was a pleasure to meet him and to listen to his WW2 experiences.

• 3 months later...

Hi Merwyn

Sad to say but this tag should of stayed with the medals, adds a great deal of value to the group but on their own not that valuable. With so many of our chaps being taken prisoner there must be a large number around, however that being the case, I suspect once freed a large number of our chaps would have used these as frisbies. There were different types, later in the war when the Germans were running short on metal, they even produced wooden ones.

I will soon start a thread here on POW groups in my collection. I will endeavour to add bits and pieces as well.

Regards

Brian