I recently took-in an OBE group - exceptionally this came with his war diary for the later part

of the war. He was a Lt. Col. in the Royal Engineers and became the Military Officer in

charge of re-building a number of Italian ports. This was after the Italians surrendered.

He worked in the ports of Piobino - Civitia Vecchia (Port of Rome) and finally at Genoa.

I will be posting the medals and excerpts fromt the diary later - however, one of the official

documents sent to him concerns the wearing of an MID oak leaf.

This document very firmly states that only one oak leaf will be worn - in spite of how many

awarded. Also, that it never goes on the ribbon - but has to be worn on the tunic without

backing. This would be similar to the Police Queen's Commendation - which is also worn

alone.

I am aware of the one only rule - usually ignored by old servicemen, who wanted them to

be seen. I have seen as many as 5 on a medal. However, I have never heard of this rule

of on the cloth only - and in fact don't think I've even seen one mounted this way.

Perhaps they changed the rule - but this is dated for 1945.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_10_2012/post-6209-0-78778900-1350660275.jpgclick

My understanding is that an MiD emblem earned and issued during a conflict/war is worn on the ribbon of the medal issued for that conflict. In this case, the instructions are correct about the MiD emblem being worn directly on the cloth of the shirt etc after any existing medals because the medal for WWII had not been issued as yet. Once the guy had received his BWM 1939-1945 after the end of the war, the emblem would be worn on the ribbon of the BWM. And on the ribbon as such:

100px-War_Medal_39-45_BAR_MID.png

I have to agree with both Greg and Rayjin. MiD is worn on the campaign ribbon, but before any campaign medal is issued, then on the tunic. In this case the BWM was considered the campaign medal of WWII, thus no MiD worn on the stars earned during WWII (1939-45 Star, Italy Star and whatever more in this case).

/Jonas