News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Early photos of the Police are actually quite rare. Usually they are posed in an early studio and their main
    interest is for the uniform. This set is therefore , quite unique in that the constable is shown going about his
    daily duties - although some are posed.

The ones showing PC J368 has a date on one of them, showing 1934. These will be interesting to Ayedeewar
    since they show the uniforms in style and being worn.

The extremely rare one is the photo of early Metropolitan Police officers wearing the 1860's style uniform and top hat.
    The letter from an inspector takes the date back to the 1920's - however, for the Met., 1st pattern helmets took over
    from top hats in the 1860's. I suspect that the original photo was re-photographed.

The very interesting thing for me - is that Moylan Police Section House was where I spent my first two years of duty -
    from 1967. I would never have recognised it from this view. However, my room would have been the one to the
    left above the front entrance. ** Moylan was Commissioner in the early part of the 20th Century - therefore , if this is
    the original section house from Victorian days, it would have been under another name. My Station was 'HB'
    Bethnal Green. Looking at the building again - it was obviously rebuilt. The one I lived-in had three floors.

You can see from this picture that it shows younger men - the section houses were for single men and provided a
    reserve of manpower for emergencies.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-43271200-1352049263.jpgclick

He was stationed at Sheperdess Walk - which I think was the Div. station at that time. Certainly

it is big enough. This is in Hoxton - part of North London and at that time a run down and poor

part of London. The first Police officer to be murdered in the Metropolitan Police was in Hoxton

in 1829. He was upended into a drain. The area has now been upgraded and is very expensive.

I think it is now part of 'N' Division ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-28150600-1352054894.jpgclick

Faintly on the reverse is something about a Chief Inspector. I think the one on the right may be his Father - the

girl, his daughter. However, I would only be guessing. Certainly they both have a look of Police about them -

probably a Detective Chief Inspector.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-87048000-1352057156.jpgclick

I had wondered what the man on the right was holding in his hands. I have enlarged that section and it

would appear that he is holding a presentation box - possibly medals or, an Order ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-22493500-1352058140.jpgclick

These will be interesting to Ayedeewar since they show the uniforms in style and being worn.

Please note that his helmet has the plate with his number in the centre. These are very collectable. http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-29390000-1352054570.jpgclick

Thanks for those Mervyn, the shot in greatcoat is of particular interest to me as it is another item of kit I am after. I know what they look like from the front, but have yet to find a good shot (or an original) which I can get the details for the reverse off...

When I started the other thread, you mentioned you might be able to help with a "King's Crown numbered plate and possibly a belt (also, a wool cape)" - any update with this?

Faintly on the reverse is something about a Chief Inspector. I think the one on the right may be his Father - the

girl, his daughter. However, I would only be guessing. Certainly they both have a look of Police about them -

probably a Detective Chief Inspector.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-87048000-1352057156.jpgclick

Poor girl being busted for soliciting maybe?

I had wondered what the man on the right was holding in his hands. I have enlarged that section and it

would appear that he is holding a presentation box - possibly medals or, an Order ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-22493500-1352058140.jpgclick

Maybe I have been watching too many 'Life on Mars' programs, but that looks remarkably like a Kindle!

Weak jokes aside, thanks for posting these interesting pictures.

Ayedeeyew - sorry about the spelling mistake on your name. I thought you would find these interesting.

I'm glad you reminded - I will get someone to see what can be found. Mervyn

It's quite alright, it's just my initials spelt phonetically - ADU - most people just call me Andrew... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

He was stationed at Sheperdess Walk - which I think was the Div. station at that time. Certainly

it is big enough. This is in Hoxton - part of North London and at that time a run down and poor

part of London. The first Police officer to be murdered in the Metropolitan Police was in Hoxton

in 1829. He was upended into a drain. The area has now been upgraded and is very expensive.

I think it is now part of 'N' Division ?

No its part og 'G' Division and seems to have been so since it was built in1901. The police history of City Road Police station (and all the stations of Hckney) are shown on page 121 of Behind the Blue lamp - Policing North and North east London which also features all the other stations of Thames Division, the brooughs of Barking and Dagenham, Camden, Enfiled (and Broxborne) Eppinf Forest Dist Council, Haringey, Havering, Islington, Newham,, Redbridge, Tower Hamlets and Waltham Forest. There aare also 299 pictures and a history of uniforms, ranks badges and structures (amongst much more). As I am the co author (we have sold over 250 copies to date) I have several copies left at the end of the print run if interested learn more. For example one of my probabtioners was Lawrence Brown in 1981 who was shot dead on City Roads ground in 1990.

Best wishes

Pcdogberry

Hi I'm a new member as of today - I'm a collector of Metropolitan police related cdv's, cabinet cards, RPPC's and ephemera.

Thought I would start off by commenting on the image of Met constables c 1860 - I think that this may be a cropped version of a well documented image of constables at Sydenham, South London.

The background appears the same as well as the constables, although the constable in the helmet on the right is missing, Attached is the Sydenham image - what do you think ?

Firstly - we must say Hello to new members - pcdogberry and 219PG. Are you both serving Police Officers or, pensioners ?

You are most welcome to GMIC and we will look forward to hearing more from you both.

I did say that the older picture was probably a later copy and I agree that it is the same as yours. However, the detail of the trimmed

part is most interesting. The Sgt. is wearing the new pattern helmet that was introduced in the 1860's - this had a curling brim and

did not last long in service. Pictures are quite rare and none have survived in original condition to the present.

I am showing an enlargement - see what you think ?

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-54577700-1353421401.jpgclick

Thanks for the welcome. I am still serving (just) !

I think the image must have been taken c1864 when the Prussian style helmet was replacing the top hat. I suppose the sergeant may have got one of the first !.

I have seen an image dated 1865 o/s Erith police station where the constable is still wearing a top hat but the acting sergeant has a helmet.

I have hopefully attached a copy of one of my favourite cdv's - apart from the helmet please note the leather truncheon case & armband. Shame the beard covers the collar numbers. Photographer was Sands & Co.

• 1 month later...