News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Mickey Rourke wearing St. George Cross in Iron Man 2?

paja

Alex I wasn't thinking about what might have happened with the decorations, but I'm afraid your scenario is probably not far from the truth. Serbian White Eagle with Swords 3rd grade, apart from probably being one of the most beautiful orders in general, was not awarded that many times and was very appreciated among officers. It's really a shame if it ended up in trash, I just hope some of his heirs had that much sense to at least keep the order and not to throw it away.

Edited by paja

Alex I wasn't thinking about what might have happened with the decorations, but I'm afraid your scenario is probably not far from the truth. Serbian White Eagle with Swords 3rd grade, apart from probably being one of the most beautiful orders in general, was not awarded that many times and was very appreciated among officers. It's really a shame if it ended up in trash, I just hope some of his heirs had that much sense to at least keep the order and not to throw it away.

Unfortunately my initial reaction is and still remains the same, people without brains/sense of history pick these things up as mere costume jewellery, wear them and then throw them in a drawer. (Money being no object), after a while a quick cleanout by someone who knows no better throws in the trash can, I honestly believe it has happpened over many many years with Hollywood bigshots, once again a real loss to those who DO appreciate these things.

regards

Edited by Alex K

I beleive theres an interview with Jackson somewhere in my bag of video clips, where he says he chose to wear the order because he liked the look of the Eagle. Some Hollywood Extra show or something, if I do end up finding it I'll put the post down.

He should be able to wear whatever he wants to, but then again I think if a country informs him they do not wish him to wear the order, he shouldn't be puting it on and wearing it.

Further more, as long as anyone doesn't expresly state that there were awarded the award, when they were not, why would it matter. I'd love to see one of the celebs sporting a MOH with diffrent color sash just to spice it up a bit.

I do believe and I stand to be corrected that in the UK it is illegal to wear ODM's that you're not entitled to, it just seems that no-one bothers here!!

Yes, in many countries it is illegal to wear orders and decorations that you have not received. It is not important in what country you wear the decoration but from which country it originates. If you would wear a medal of honor that you haven't received by the congress in France you would still commit a crime. As long as you don't enter the USA it doesn't matter. But at the entry you could be arrested. But there are exceptions for example if the state in general doesn't exist anymore (for example the soviet union) or if the state has abolished the order. Then it can be legally worn by anyone since it becomes only a piece of metal. In any case it is very tasteless and disrespectful to do so.

Yes, in many countries it is illegal to wear orders and decorations that you have not received. It is not important in what country you wear the decoration but from which country it originates. If you would wear a medal of honor that you haven't received by the congress in France you would still commit a crime. As long as you don't enter the USA it doesn't matter. But at the entry you could be arrested. But there are exceptions for example if the state in general doesn't exist anymore (for example the soviet union) or if the state has abolished the order. Then it can be legally worn by anyone since it becomes only a piece of metal. In any case it is very tasteless and disrespectful to do so.

Nicely put, couldn't agree more! Legal in some countries or not I strongly believe that behavior like that is disrespectful and wrong.

Kind regards,

Radmilo

• 3 months later...

I thought this was an interesting topic and would like to add something to it.

Pictured is Barry Foster as Kaiser Wihelm II in the 1974 Brit TV series, Fall of Eagles. As far as I am aware, at least some of the medals he's wearing are actually those belonging to the Kaiser during the war. I know for sure that both the medal bar and the Red Eagle kneck decoration were his. They belonged to Forman's of Piccadilly, who loaned them for the production of the film. As I was a regular customer of the shop during my trips to London in the 80s, Mr. Forman was very gracious in showing me the medal bar, which was quite impressive. I understand that the medals are still in the Forman family and that their son Adrian has them now.

The Medals were actually sold by Foreman senior they were included in a Sotheby's Geneva auction in (I think 1994) where the grouping was dispersed. The medal bar was purchased by George Seymour a well known American collector of Imperial German and a thoroughly nice chap. He died around 2005 and the bar was then auctioned with the rest of his collection by Andreas Thies. ( re the photo I am sure the Kaiser's hair wasn't that awful).

Paul

Not sure what it is, but I doubt it's a St. Sava. Maybe rather a Sachsen-Weimar White Falcon grand cross?

The Kaiser had one, and Forman had the Kaiser's, if I remember correctely.

Not sure what it is, but I doubt it's a St. Sava. Maybe rather a Sachsen-Weimar White Falcon grand cross?

The Kaiser had one, and Forman had the Kaiser's, if I remember correctely.

Yes, that's the White Falcon. The decoration below the Red Eagle and the matching cross below the EK1 are for the Bulgarian Military Merit Order. I imagine the White Falcon was used because Forman did not have a breast star for the House Order of Hohenzollern, which would make more sense. I don't think the Kaiser would wear a Saxe-Weimar award unless he was meeting with the Grand Duke or visiting a Saxe-Weimar unit, since wearing only one state's award might be seen as an insult to the other states of the Empire (I'm not counting the medal bar since that was meant to represent every state and ally that gave him a war award).

• 5 months later...