News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

South African Proof Set

I thought this was an attractive proof set of South African coinage. They were made by the South

African Mint and are for 1947. They include a 5/- piece and also a Farthing ( a quarter value of a 1 d)

All of these bear the portrait of King George 6 th. and are dated for 1947 - they have a good enclosed

box.

1947 was an important date in South Africa - it was the year of the Royal Family's State Visit - the first

by a reigning Monarch. In addition to the King, was the Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) and

both Princess Elizabeth (our present Queen) and her sister the Princess Margaret. They travelled on the last

British Battleship - H.M.S. Vanguard.

These may have only been made for the Visit - I have no idea if they were a regular issue ? I will

be grateful for any idea of value ? Mervyn

..........................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-54496400-1352824798.jpgclick.......................................................

Some of the reverse designs follow British patterns - others are very South African. The flowers

are Proteas.

.........................................................http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-91828500-1352825493.jpgclick............................................