News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1887 Jubilee Medals to Metropolitan Police

On 06/10/2019 at 13:03, Alan Baird said:

Hi,

I have added some photographs of the engraving to Police Constable 122 Charley Packman's 1897 medal and who was attached to the 1st or Woolwich [Dockyard/Arsenal] division.

Unfortunately, it is a dull day and my camera is getting old so they are the best photographs that I can do at the present time.

He was awarded the Queen Victoria Metropolitan Police Jubilee medal for 1897 and the Coronation medals for 1902 and 1911 and served his whole service in 1st or Woolwich division.

Joined the Metropolitan Police on the 2/7/1888, warrant number 73743 and was therefore serving in the Metropolitan Police just prior to the start of the JTR murders. Retired on the 14th of September in 1914.

Metropolitan Police pension records will only tell you if that individual has served on 'Special Duties' ……..if they were on 'Special Duties' at the time of their retirement. Police Constable 122 Charley Packman is one such example because he was attached to ''Plumstead Marshes Magazine and the cost of this 'Special Duty' was paid for by the War Department.  

It would be interesting to show a Metropolitan Police 1887 medal for somebody serving in 1st or Woolwich division and compare the details/engravings. 

SS859238 (2).JPG

SS859254 (2).JPG

SS859264 (2).JPG

SS859266 (2).JPG

SS859271 (2).JPG

SS859275 (2).JPG

SS859278 (2).JPG

Is this the explosion chap Alan?

• Replies 101
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I know there was an explosion at 3.20am on the 11th of February in 1907 which destroyed the Chemical Research Department and a Gas Holder, at the Magazine, at Plumstead Marshes. 

But I don't know if he was employed there at that specific time.

Amazingly nobody was killed...…...30,000 windows were shattered in the surrounding area and the explosion was heard from 40 miles away. At that time, in the early morning, I believe the streets started to fill up with people all wondering what had just happened, dogs barking, people crying and lots of confusion on what had just occurred and what to do.

During the day, I believe approximately 400 men would have been working in the danger area.

Alan.