News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

7th class of Rising Sun Order with interesting (and pretty rare) Mark

JapanX

A Hiragana "hi"? E.g. for Hiroshima Mint?

Hm, would be too obviously :unsure:

Although, up-side-down view looks a little bit like a Greek "Omega" ;)

Nick, are you able to match any maker/mint by this mark?

BR, Chris

Edited by Gensui

O.K., here's another one for you - no interesting marks, but the case is interesting. Not sure what to make of this one. The case is what caught my eye because of the slightly different writing style. I figured this was just another typical post-war medal. Once I got it, not sure what to make of it! The medal looks like it could be anywhere from late WWII to post-war, but not modern post-war. The rosette has our familiar "SU" mark on it. The case is what is interesting - yes, the style is slightly different, but on closer inspection I found that it looked different becasue it is also in a narrower column than the typical post-war case - but the most interesting part is that otherwise the case would appear to be like any other post-war case without the latch hardware - and this is the case, and it is made of Bakelite plastic - however this one is finished in black lacquer - alas, it doesn't show up well in the pictures, but it is lacquer over plastic!

I simply don't know what to make of the piece as a whole, but if I had to guess, I'd say the seller simply cobbled together a medal, a rosette, and a case - all from different periods. Nick, you seem the most familiar with aging of these Rising Suns - what do you think??

Yep, interesting post war box.

Different manufacturer?!

I wonder ...

Interesting that the size (height and length) of late Meiji boxes also slightly varies.

Judging by the enamel color this piece belong to the post war years.

The rosette could be added by the seller (?) or by the cavalier (?) ...

Yes, the size is CLOSE, but the case on the right is slightly larger, length and heighth, but width is the same.

The rosette then, being "SU" marked, must have just been thrown in by the seller. I really hate it when people do that. :angry:

The rosette then, being "SU" marked, must have just been thrown in by the seller.

Could be ...

Or maybe someone used after the war (for some time) rosettes from old (war time) stock...

Recently I found two additional examples of orders (sacred treasures) that were lying inside the boxs with silver kanji on the lid and with rosettes marked "SU" ;)

Very nice pick up gents. Thanks for sharing!

I think Nick's theory of old stocks of rosettes or cases being used is very plausible. It was mentioned on the China thread for example, that the Government of Taiwan continued to award 1930s type insignia as late as the 60s and 70s because they were sitting on crates of the stuff that they had shipped over to Taiwan after they were defeated by the Communists.

I've also seen quite a few examples of Qing Double Dragons where the sash badges and the breast stars are of the same manufacturing style and CLASS, but of the different GRADE. The same manufacturing style suggests they were awarded as an original set. Maybe the workshop only had the incorrect sash badges at hand. Or the recipient thought the incorrect badge was "prettier" and wanted that instead. Who knows ...

So I wouldn't be too worried, Dieter, about your "SU" rosette. It might still be an original set as awarded.

Gavin

I think it is pretty common to find Rising Suns in silver kanji cases with the "SU" marked rosettes. I've seen quite a few, you too, right?

Yes, of course.

I even posted them ;)

Simply wanted to report about two additional cases connected with sacred treasures :whistle:

• 2 months later...

Recent eBay acquisition, some of you might have seen it. Guessing late Showa, early Heisei. Case is lacquer and has the latch again, still not as nice as earlier lacquer cases. Hinges (at least on this one) are held in place with nails. The hinge was loose as mentioned in the aBay auction - nails were pulling out, one was missing. I found this intolerable. I was able to carefully take the case apart, slightly enlarge the holes in the hinge, and resecure it with nice, threaded mini screws. Came out nice, though you can't actually see anything with the hinge cover material. I had to remove the inlay to do this and found the number "75" penciled onto the bottom. Overall, a pretty decent piece.