News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1776 Newspaper

Mervyn Mitton

I recently bought a collection of old newspapers - dating between 1776 and 1816. There are several reports that will be of interest to GMIC Members. I will post them by Countries and then put them all on our Non-Militaria Forum.

Papers that are 236 years old are RARE - even museums don't find them easy to keep in good condition. This set is

therefore a rarity in the collecting world. There are two that cover the War of Independence - for 1776 and 1788.

Strangely, neither has great detail on the War - more British Court news and adverts.

Please remember that the US declared Independence in 1776 - the year of this paper. Actual Independence came when

the War ended in 1783.

I found it remarkable to be able to read the speech by Benjamin Franklin - and so relatively shortly after he made the

address. However, this is balanced by the other report of intimidation and bullying to the printer. Unfortunately, when

feelings run high, violence often breaks out.

Please remember - all typesetting was done by hand - and on poor quality paper. 's' at this time looks like an 'f'

Here is your early history - I hope you find it of interest.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-64177000-1353939494.jpgclick

I recently bought a collection of old newspapers - dating between 1776 and 1816. There are several reports that will be of interest to GMIC Members. I will post them by Countries and then put them all on our Non-Militaria Forum.

Papers that are 236 years old are RARE - even museums don't find them easy to keep in good condition. This set is

therefore a rarity in the collecting world. There are two that cover the War of Independence - for 1776 and 1788.

Strangely, neither has great detail on the War - more British Court news and adverts.

Please remember that the US declared Independence in 1776 - the year of this paper. Actual Independence came when

the War ended in 1783.

I found it remarkable to be able to read the speech by Benjamin Franklin - and so relatively shortly after he made the

address. However, this is balanced by the other report of intimidation and bullying to the printer. Unfortunately, when

feelings run high, violence often breaks out.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_11_2012/post-6209-0-64177000-1353939494.jpgclick

That's not Benjamin Franklin, but I believe his son, William. Staunch loyalist. Helped his dad in the kite thing.

PS Old newspapers aren't really a museum concern, but a library's. Mostly solved by extensive microfilm recording, and often libraries prefer not to have to keep the originals because of their bulk and fragility. Some cheap papers 100 years old fall apart at the touch, while some good quality paper over 200 years old can still be leafed through.