News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bars.

Martin W

Hi guys,

a friend of mine gave me this set of ribbon bars today to try and identify.

They belonged to his father.I have identified the ribbons on the double bar as the "Good Conduct Medal" and the "European-African-Middle Eastern Theater" medal.

I beleive these are WWII awards?

However,i am not sure what the "stars" on the ribbon bar denote.

I am also not sure what the individual "blue" ribbon bars with what appears to be oak leaves were awarded for?

Any information in regards to these bars would be much appreciate.

Regards,Martin.

Each star on the "European-African-Middle Eastern Theater" campaign medal. represents a military campaign in which the recipient participated; for example "Normandy", "Northern France" etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European-African-Middle_Eastern_Campaign_Medal

The blue ribbons are unit awards - Presidential Unit Citations - the oak leaf represents a second award. The recipient would have served in a unit when it earned the distinction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidential_Unit_Citation_%28United_States%29

Edited by IrishGunner

I just noticed that the star on the EAME on the plastic coated bar looks silver. A silver star equals five bronze stars - the number on the other bar.

Five campaigns and two Presidential Unit Citations - the recipient of this bar saw a lot of combat.

Five campaigns and two Presidential Unit Citations - the recipient of this bar saw a lot of combat.

It sure looks looks like he did see some action Rick.

Again,thank you for your observations and help.

Regards,Martin.

Note the "Line" on the good conduct bar- as if the long service knots have fallen off. These are war time issue and worn I reckon, given the lack of the US campaign bar and/or victory medal. Two presidential citations? paratroopers?

Note the "Line" on the good conduct bar- as if the long service knots have fallen off. These are war time issue and worn I reckon, given the lack of the US campaign bar and/or victory medal. Two presidential citations? paratroopers?

No arrowheads, so probably not a paratrooper. Many units that served in Normandy in June and July 1944 received five campaign participation credits - Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace and Central Europe. Units that served in North Africa, Sicily and Italy as well often had more battle credits. Two Distinguished Unit Citations is less common, especially without arrowheads pointing to a well-decorated assault regiment.

Just flipping through DA 672-1 for units with five credits, two PUCs and no arrowheads, I don't actually see all that many, but they include some armored infantry units and some engineer combat battalions, for example.

Again,thank you for your replies gents,very educational for me.

I hope to see my friend this afternoon and i will try to get his fathers name and hopefully the unit he served in.

Thanks and regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

Well, a little more information on the recipient.

His name was Lester Christian Carstensen.Now my friend was only 12 years old when his father died and the only information he can remember was that his father drove a "gasoline" truck supplying tanks and other motorised transport ?

He does have photo's of his father that i hope to be able to scan and post in the next few days.Perhaps these images will provide more information on his unit ??

Regards,Martin.

Well my friend managed to provide me with a couple of photo's that belonged to his father,Lester.

First,a portrait of the recipient himself.

Interesting,that there appears to be a couple of ink circles on the photo that i have arrowed in red.One on the tunic and one in the background

It seems to be some sort of intentional censoring ??

I'm not sure.

Regards,Martin

Edited by Martin W