News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The infamous 'war surplus' market in Ho Chi Minh City

jules118

Hi guy,

Just joined GMIC and have been browsing the various forums and posts. Very glad to have found this site. I've been a collector since the 70's and one of my areas of interest is the French war in Indochina. I also travel through South East Asia a lot and am always on the lookout for shops, markets and other sources of militaria as well as visiting the various battlefields and sites of military importance.

Anyway, I thought some of you may be interested in a piece I put on my blog about the Dan Sinh Markets in Ho Chi Minh City. Much of the junk that you see on eBay is sourced from this place. It's definitely worth a visit or three if you ever get to Ho Chi Minh City... but as the old saying goes, Caveat Emptor!

cheers

Jules

http://juleswings.wordpress.com/2012/07/22/revisiting-vietnams-infamous-dan-sinh-war-surplus-market/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

I'm heading back to Vietnam in just under three weeks time. Going to be spending this trip visiting the DMZ and battlefields of central Vietnam and will post an update to my site once I've gathered and sorted the material. Hopefully I'll find some bits for my collection along the way... although to be honest I'm not holding my breath. It will be the first time that I have returned to that part of Vietnam since 97 so if anybody has any suggestions for shops or places that may sell militaria in Hue, Danang, Hoi An or any of the towns around the DMZ, please let me know.

cheers

jules

http://www.juleswings.wordpress.com
    A site for collectors of militaria and travelers interested in military history.

"Those flags look really good. Weathered and all."

A friend of mine is a retired academic who did a lot of 'digs' in Israel. He once explained "stamp out a bronze denarius, p**s on it, bury it in the back yard for a month and you've got a genuine Roman coin." I don't expect that weathering clothing and flags is much harder! As the man says, "Caveat Emptor!"