News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portuguese Awards Display

Paul,

The last award to the right is indeed a Order of Christ.

As far as I know the only Portuguese Order that has Classes is the one for Agriculture, Commerce and Industry Merit. All the others, including of course the Order of Christ, have Grades: Knight, Officer, Commander, Grand-Officer, Grand-Cross.

I can't see your piece clearly enough to find out which Grade it is! Also I'm not used to see these as part of Medal bars and I guess I wouldn't be able to determine the Grade anyway, sorry :blush:

It's much easier when I see a Medal alone, as the Grade is determined by the kind of rosette on the ribbon, see what I mean?

Finally, I will try to do some research, but in theory your Order seems to be of the Model adopted by the Republic, established in 1910, so a post 1910 piece!

Hope it helps,

Dolf

• Replies 64
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a nice Benedict of Avis. Old piece? These simple elegant pieces are really nice.

:beer:

Ed,

Thank you.

It's already sometimes hard to know exactly from which year date many of our Soviet and Mongolian serial numbered pieces, as we both know, so I guess you can imagine how hard it can be to establish how old a not numbered piece can be! And with the frustrating lack of references, this can only be a guess!

My guess is that this Order of Avis is not too old, but my guess is only based on pics and other pieces I can compare, and some details of the manufacture, such as the ring on the top of the Medal that secures it to the small loop on the base of the larger loop where the ribbon is attached. Sorry if it seems a bit confuse :blush: Other details of the manufacturing process also have influence on my guess, such as the enamel.

Anyway, I suppose it could be from somewhere between the late 70's and the 90's, last century.

I'll post pics of another piece that apparently should be older than this one, so it might help to illustrate my guesses mentioned above.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Ok, so here are a few examples of what I meant.

These differences are of some help to date the pieces, but anyway, as they can be made by different jewllers I guess each one has it's own "signature" and some details might be different because of this.

Example 1, the piece that I believe would be the older one from all these posted here.

Notice the differences on the way the enamel is applied, if comparing with mine posted above. Notice also the ring on this one. And also some final details on the manufacture. This one is most probably from the early days of the Republic, around 1910.

Dolf

Another piece, and again some differences on the same details mentioned before.

Honestely I can't guarantee it, but I suppose this one could be of the same period as mine (maybe the more recent type of all those posted here), only made by a different manufacturer, I guess.

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

• 3 months later...

on this link You can see the three knight orders of king Albert I of Belgium exposed in the Royal Army Museum Brussels

WOW!WOW!WOW!! :jumping::jumping::jumping:

I believe it's called The Band of the Three Orders (Aviz, Christ and Santiago of the Sword).

An absolutely marvellous piece! :love:

Some time ago I was offered one (the Grand Collar, including the breast Star), but too much for my wallet! :(

Dolf :cheers:

PS: btw, check it here:

http://www.ordens.presidencia.pt/banda_3_ordens_insignia.htm

Edited by Dolf

Here is the one I was offered.

Dolf

PS: Well, if the Order of the Rose of Brasil is one of the nicest in the World, where would we place this one?... :speechless:;)

Edited by Dolf

and here you can see the Order of the Tower and the Sword Of king Leopold II of Belgium

Dear Dolf your 3 combined knight orders is beautifull, I Like it, :love: if you will see those of the Ajouda Palace, the one of King Joao VI, it is full of diamonds, rubies, emeraud, ... :jumping::love::jumping::jumping: , you certenly have to buy the catalog.

See the painting of King Joao VI by Jean-Baptiste Debret

Edited by g_deploige

Dear Guy,

You got me convinced :D;)

I'm certainly buying that Catalogue.

Btw, is this pic from that Catalogue? Wow! :speechless::love::jumping:

Many thanks for helping a guy living here know a few more things about it here that I just didn't know :blush:

Dolf :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Guy,

You got me convinced :D;)

I'm certainly buying that Catalogue.

Btw, is this pic from that Catalogue? Wow! :speechless::love::jumping:

Many thanks for helping a guy living here know a few more things about it here that I just didn't know :blush:

Dolf :beer:

Dear Dolf

this painting is not in the catalog but the real stars withe diamonds are :love: