News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Want informations about Premier-Lieutenant Brossdorf from KS 2 Reiter Reg in 1874

Hi everybody,

i'm looking for informations about this officer.

On the photo we can find the SV3X, EK2 and campaign medal for the Franco-Prussian War. He probably wore the Albert knight cross but it was hidden

I have no information about Saxon officer before 1900. Thanks for your help

Christophe

Christophe,

Moritz Ernst Louis Borßdorf had a commission as a Sek.Lt. of 19.07.1865, Prem.Lt. 01.01.1872 and Rittm. 23.07.1875. He left the saxon army on 29.09.1883 as an squadron commander in HR 19. The 1883 saxon Rangliste shows him having the VR1.KD and EK2. He received the "Charakter" as a Major on 10.10.1883. He died 25.06.1896.

Andy

• 2 months later...
    • 7 years later...
    14 hours ago, Deruelle said:

ERSNT MILSTER

13 Unter den Linden

Hi Christophe,

Ernst Milster had his studio at UdL 13 from 1866-1874. In 1874 he sold his studio and his successors kept this address till 1881. If it doesn´t say Milster Nachf(olger) on the reverse. and because of the design of the CDV and the uniform, which still shows him in the Saxon colors, I´d say the photo was taken in the mid 1870s.

Unfortunately, I can not find what SV3X stands for. Can you tell us what the abbreviation stands for?

GreyC

Edited by GreyC

42 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Christophe,

Ernst Milster had his studio at UdL 13 from 1866-1874. In 1874 he sold his studio and his successors kept this address till 1881. If it doesn´t say Milster Nachf(olger) on the reverse. and because of the design of the CDV and the uniform, which still shows him in the Saxon colors, I´d say the photo was taken in the mid 1870s.

Unfortunately, I can not find what SV3X stands for. Can you tell us what the abbreviation stands for?

GreyC

I think he means the Königlich Sächsischer Verdienstorden, Ritterkreuz mit Schwertern - its visible on the picture and Borßdorf got it 1871 (compare p. 503):

https://books.google.de/books?id=hXlBAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA505&dq=Moritz+Ernst+Louis+Borßdorf&hl=de&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwisoZvw_v_tAhUT4OAKHbKcDjkQ6AEwBXoECAMQAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

But what is he wearing under the belt? We can clearly see that there is "something" with a "straight" outerside (like a cross). I would guess the Saxon Erinnerungskreuz 1866? There is only one man called Borßdorf since 1866 (Leutnant der Reitenden Artillerie) and until 1877 (Rittmeister 2. Husaren, I did not check later) he had not received any other orders... What do you think? Good explanation (= all his Saxon stuff in front of all the Prussian stuff?)?

Hello,

When this cross ws create in 1815 it was for civil and there is only 3 classes GrandCross, Commandeur cross and Ritterkreuz. and in 1866  the cross can be awarded with swords. Then there is still one class of Ritterkreuz. In the old Rangliste the name of Verdienstkreuz Ritter is name VRmKD. After all amendment in 1876 appeared a second class of the Verdienstkreuz

VRmKD = Verdienst Ritterkreuz mit Kriegsdekoration (mit Schwertern)

SV3X = Sachsische Verdienstorden mit Schwertern

Same cross and two differents  abbreviations

On the photo he wore the VRmKD, EK2 1870  and commemorative medal for war 1870-71. Too bad that there is no claps on it to know exactly where he fought.

Christophe

17 minutes ago, Deruelle said:

Hello,

When this cross ws create in 1815 it was for civil and there is only 3 classes GrandCross, Commandeur cross and Ritterkreuz. and in 1866  the cross can be awarded with swords. Then there is still one class of Ritterkreuz. In the old Rangliste the name of Verdienstkreuz Ritter is name VRmKD. After all amendment in 1876 appeared a second class of the Verdienstkreuz

VRmKD = Verdienst Ritterkreuz mit Kriegsdekoration (mit Schwertern)

SV3X = Sachsische Verdienstorden mit Schwertern

Same cross and two differents  abbreviations

On the photo he wore the VRmKD, EK2 1870  and commemorative medal for war 1870-71. Too bad that there is no claps on it to know exactly where he fought.

Christophe

Christope, if you know for sure that the name on the man on your photo was Borßdorf than you will find what he did in 1870/71 in the book I posted the link to - he is mentioned several times in name. There was no other Borßdorf in the Saxon army in these days. Cheers!

4 hours ago, ArHo said:

= all his Saxon stuff in front of all the Prussian stuff?

Yes, ArHo, because he is Saxon, the medals take precedence.

Christophe,

Andreas and I were just asking, because the abbr. in the Rangliste for that order is VR1KD. Not the one you used. But now, we know what you meant and all is well.

Here is a little surprise for you. This photo was taken after 1876 and not later than 1883. Note that he is only wearing the EKII and all the loops in the Attila are empty. But he is in the uniform of 19th Husar Regiment that was given out from 1876.

GreyC

1631578596_xx19_HRRittmeisterErnstLouisBordorfEKII1870ATJerieCarlsbad.thumb.jpg.edbcfd7044c167172869dbbf7223b423.jpg

Edited by GreyC

Hello!

Now it´s clear. I didn´t now the other kind of the abbreviation. So he had VR1KD and EKII.

Probably beside those both he had commemorative medal 70/71 and saxon commemorative cross 1866.

https://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/erinnerungskreuz-1866.html

The ranklists don´t mention other medals for him.

On Christophes photo he wears the old saxon "Reiter" Uniform.

So he wears the uniform of 2nd Reiter-Regiment, which became Hus.Rgt.19 in December 17, 1875.

Note the name changed in Dec. 1875, but the uniform changed in april 1876!

The regimental history mentions:

2nd Lt. in 1st Esk./2.Reiter-Regiment in July 27, 1870 and December 1, 1871.

Rittmeister in the same unit December 31, 1877, and in 2nd. Esk December 1, 1881 and April 1, 1882.

Medals: Sächs. Verdienstorden, Ritterkreuz with swords in 1871 and EKII in 180/71

He promoted to

Sec.Lt. July 19, 1865

Pr.Lt. January 1., 1872

Rittmeister July 23, 1875

On Christophes photo I see (probably) one star (Pr.Lt.) upon the shoulder board, so the photo must have been taken between January 1872 and July 1875.

Edited by The Prussian