News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shoulder Boards Commodore 1901-1953

Dear fellow collectors:

I was able to acquire with a lot of flag officer shoulder boards, a board for a Commodore (KC) in the version it was used between 1901-1953. I looked at various reference books and found the description "Commodore 1st and 2nd Class" for these boards (cf. E.C. Coleman's book Rank and Rate (2009) and Latham B. Jensons's Tin Hats, Oilskins and Seaboots (1945)). However, the 1920 British "Harmsworth's Universal Encyclopedia" there was t lists and displays the as he 44mm curl not only as sleeve insignia but also a shoulder board for the Commodore 2nd Class.

Thanks for the assistance in advance and Happy Holidays!

Best

Dirk

Dirk - welcome to GMIC - we have another shoulder board collector in Singapore so, you are not alone. Look back on this section and

you should find some of his posts.

With regard to the Commodore's insignia - I always thought two stars represented a rear admiral ? Mervyn

these boards when you have them in hand are AMAZING!heres mine its a left hand board to Rear Admiral William Patrick Brock!

Thanks so much. Here is a selection of sinle boards I reguire recently:

Admiral (KC 1901-1953)

Vice Admiral (QC post-1953 - version prior to 2001)

Read Admiral (QVC 1838-1901)

Commodore (KC 1901-1953)

Dirk - welcome to GMIC - we have another shoulder board collector in Singapore so, you are not alone. Look back on this section and

you should find some of his posts.

With regard to the Commodore's insignia - I always thought two stars represented a rear admiral ? Mervyn

Mevin,

until 2001 it was below the Queen's or King's crown three stars and a crossed sword and baton for Admiral, two stars and a crossed sword and baton for a Vice Admiral, one star and a crossed baton for a Rear Admiral, and two stars and an achor for a Commodore 1st class (in 1957 the distinction between Commodore 1st and 2nd Class was ablolished and the one 44mm became the standard rank insignia) - see below Best Dirk

Are the stars on the most recent example metallic or are they embroidered as well?

Paul, all the stars are hand-embroidered, even on the most recent models. If you look on ebay you will find boards with "inexpensive emroideries." On the authentic boards, are roughly 1/2 inch high.

• 2 months later...
    • 10 years later...

I was rewatching The Battle of the River Plate last night and Cmdre Harry Harwood (Anthony Quayle) was wearing rear-admiral rank on his reefer jacket.  This explains it.  There was also a lieutenant on the bridge with a letter in his curl and I knew this was before the reserve R.  Then I saw him climb into the scout plane and could see it was an A.