News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello!

Please have a look at this wonderful photo. Unfortunately it´s unwritten and unstamped.

One can see several gemans and a few foreign officers. One Japanese in a german tunic????

I´d be very grateful, if you could help me by ID those foreign unifiorms. Probably it´s an internation military-mission?

Thanks a lot, mates!

Hi Glenn!

Thanx a lot! Which sources did you use? I haven´t seen any books about european uniforms, whose countries were not participated in the war. I´m not sure about the Japanese, but the cap seems to be japanese. What do you think? Could it be a german tunic?

Andy,

No idea on Chinese uniforms of the period although the tunic does appear to be German. The book "Vanished Armies" illustrated by A E Haswell Miller is very good for the period just before the war, including the armies of Sweden and Spain.

Regards

Glenn

Did China have a star like this similar to the japanese one? I think the guy is too tall for a chinese. He looks very "japanese"

During this period, the army used a five-pointed star, with each point a different color, representing the five races of China under the Five Races Under One Union principle. There is a drawing at the wikipedia link, but good pictures of soldiers from the period are hard to find.

Glenn: Thank you for the tip for the book. Maybe I´ll get one...

Dave: That was the sta upon the military flag. Are you sure, it appeared upon the cap too?

It was used until 1928. Here are some generals who rose up under Yuan Shikai and became warlords in the warlord era. I am not sure if there was a standard uniform throughout China, but these generals all came out of the north. They started out as officers of the Beiyang Army, a modernized Western-style army created in northern China in the late Qing Dynasty.

If you look at some of the warlord pictures here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_warlords_and_military_cliques_in_the_Warlord_Era

you will see a number of uniform variations. With China's size and how fragmented the factions were, and with different Western nations jockeying for influence, there was no doubt a lack of uniformity in their uniforms.

Duanzhigui.jpg309px-Tang_Yulin.jpgGuoSongling.jpgYang_Yuting.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure? I also have this photo. It is writte with "Swedish soldiers" I think, it is the same uniform

These guys (#2 - rank? and #5 - captain?) are Swedes, but there are no Swedes in the original picture in post #1!

/Jonas