News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

2nd class of Golden Kite for the God of War

JapanX

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S.

Time Magazine

Monday, Oct. 26, 1942

World Battlefronts: Japan's Heroes

Japan awarded its highest military decoration - the Order of the Golden Kite - to 955 officers and men for feats in the Pacific, to 3,031 more who had fought in China. The list included such ranking officers as Vice Admiral Yukichi Yashire, Rear Admirals Yukio Kato and Toshio Otake, Major Generals Chikegi Usui and Tateo Kato. The interesting thing was not that Japan had so many heroes, but that the heroes were dead when they received the Order of the Golden Kite.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Nick!

What a great thread and I especially liked the fact that you can buy model kits not just of Kato's plane, but the man himself!

The Golden Kite itself is in pristine condition, as you would expect for a medal that was never worn.

Hi Gavin!

...I especially liked the fact that you can buy model kits not just of Kato's plane, but the man himself!

Guys in modelling really dig stuff like that :)

Me too :lol:

The Golden Kite itself is in pristine condition, as you would expect for a medal that was never worn.

This condition is quite unique ;)

Thanks man and a Happy New Year! :cheers:

Hi Nick,

my grandchildren left yesterday and I finally have time to catch up with GMIC.

A beautiful and historically important Golden Kite you have and thank you for sharing this treasure with us. I don't know if anyone has already provided you with a translation by pm, but herewith the translation.

The envelope is addressed to Kato Tateo Donno (honorific for Mr), Nakano-ku, Saginomiya, 2-9-4

The document is the promotion of Kato Tateo from rikugun shosha to chusha; from army major to lt. colonel, issued on 19-02-1942 and signed by prime minister Tojo Hideki

The last is a paperwrap on which is written shiroi kin ichimai; one white band (the band which is put around the head, usually with a rising sun or some script and which is wrapped in paper when it is handed out)

Hope this is of some help,

Pieter

Any good stories ?

It surfaced in Japan a couple of years ago and since then I've been tracking it... Deerslayer style ...

Patiently waiting ... for an opportunity to go on the verge of bankruptcy :lol:

Edited by JapanX

• 4 months later...