Legion of Merit (Commander) c.1946/7

Ceylon

Greetings All:

I have the medals of (British) Major-General John Arthur Mallock Bond... that is, I have them all except the US Legion of Merit (Commander) awarded to him by the US government after WWII. I would like to find an appropriate example of that award, of the same vintage, as a representation of his award. (FTI, Bond's citation is repeated below.)

I have been looking for years -- but with no luck. In fact, I'm struggling with this one, largely because:

a) I want to get an "authentic" replacement -- ie., one from the late 1940s;

b) I know that the order has changed (at least in terms of some slight -- but easily recognisable -- manufacturing details over the years); but

c) I do not know what details/changes to look for, in order to determine if any given example dates from the desired period (ie., 1940s).

As a result, I would be most grateful if anyone would please post a few scans showing the details one should look for in order to confirm that an example of the Legion of Merit (Commander) was manufactured in the immediate post-war period.

Thank you.

Glen

Ottawa, Canada

• 3 months later...