News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Honor cross 4.class 2.div. without swords Lippe-Detmold

Hello again,

something quite rare just arrived today :D

Honor cross 4th class 2nd divison Lippe-Detmold for non-combatants

This cross was awarded from 1913-1918. The letter "L" at the back stands for "F?rst Leopold IV zur Lippe".

The cross is made of silver. Around the rose in the center (little damaged) you can read "Fuer Treue und Verdienst" (...for loyality and honor...)

The ribbon is an original one (gold-red-gold).

There were about 1450 awards without swords in all classes (1st - 4th).

Unfortunately i don?t know the numbers of each class.

If anybody has a document that fits to it -feel free to show it !

I hope you like this cross too :P

Greetings

Solomon

Edited by Solomon

Solomon,

That is another very nice cross. I don't have any documents for this award, but you might not have seen a portrait of an officer based in Minden that I posted in early November of last year. It is not the same grade of the cross, but still a nice image of one in wear.

David

I think,the cross is the same grade but it isn?t the same principal :blush:

It?s the honor cross 4th class Schaumburg-Lippe.

The principals Lippe-Detmold and Schaumburg-Lippe were divided in 1897...

Greetings

Solomon

Edited by Solomon

Hello Heiko,

here is a better scan (1200dpi) of the center.

I?m not sure but the golden plate under the rose might be really gold.

If you need still a better scan, please send me a PM...it?s no problem!

Greetings

Solomon

Guest Rick Research

Well, I can tell you that between 12 March 1914 (number 81 on the roll) and 12 November 1918 (no awards on the roll after that date) there were were 71 of this grade: and 1 of those was during the war to an officer so his "no swords" entry may be an error (70?). Likewise, there were 2 awards "m X" to civilians which may be errors (72/73). Assuming that there was no reason whatsover for any awards with swords BEFORE 12 March 1914, that means the previous 80 IVb grade had no swords =

80 + 71, or 80 + 70, or 80 + 73 = (tadaaaaaaaah)

151(150-153) total awarded.

My late Imperial mentor George Seymour xeroxed ALL the Lippe-Detmold award rolls, but all I have are the pages showing THIS grade, covering the war.

But as I mentioned on another of your Lippe threads, ALL the Lippe award rolls exist, are at the state archive... and just need to be xeroxed and hopefully typed up and shared like Erhard Roth's volumes published by Michael Autengruber.

The Lippe rolls are VERY neat, and very detailed:

the recipients have full names, date and place of birth, job title or unit and rank, city where they lived, and the date of the award (including promotions to higher grades of the order with this class returned) by a running numbered list.

The first war award "m.Schw." was #96, made on 31 August 1914.

Here is an example of the Roll. I know this ribbon bar belonged to Entry Line 100 because the military suspects were easily reduced to a handful who were Wehrmacht (E) officers and... this ribbon bar was split off from the pre-WW2 medal bar, so I know the 3rd ribbon was an LH4bX and the final one a Volkspflege Cross.

[attachmentid=26838]

Running LH4b entry #: 100

Name: Nuyken, Hans

Rank/Position: Leutnant im Inf. Regt. 55 sp?ter im res. Inf. Regt. No. 255

Residence: Detmold

Place and date of birth: Biebrich am Rhein 8.6.1890

Date of award: 22. Septbr. 1914

War Badge (no notation if not): m. Schw.

Date of return of decoration (promotions in grade or recipients' deaths):

Remarks: (not scanned)

Lippe-Detmold kept FANTASTIC rolls!!!! :jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

:cheers:

Thank you for your fantastic and detailed work :beer:

I?m wondering that the number is so small...i thought it was much larger...(perhaps about 800...).

The archive in Detmold is not far away from here (about 20 km)...when i?ll have more time (after my wedding :ninja: ) , i?ll visit it and look what there also can be found out....

Greetings

Solomon

Edited by Solomon

Guest Rick Research

Congratulations! :cheers:

BUT!!! :shame:

Priorities, priorities!!!

BEFORE you get married. Afterwards you will have LESS time. You'll find out! :o:rolleyes::lol:

Amen to that Brother! :cheers: Wives have a way of impacting your collecting habits. "What do you mean we don't have money for groceries? I don't care if you ate mac and cheese and tuna in college for a month so you could buy some stupid Red Chicken Medal with swords on it. The children need milk and real food." :rolleyes::angry:

Guest Rick Research

Jens: I'm not sure about the swords indicating grades, because vH&S don't cover these classes. The swords on mine are gold (not that that proves anything), but I know that it was a 4bX because the matching medal bar without KVK2X was sold by another American dealer.

I cannot say how many of the WW1 X recipients had the Detmold/Hamburg combination, because the reservists are "invisible." My officer was identifiable because of his Wehrmacht awards. There was at least ONE other known officer with the same 4 ribbons, but with a pre-Hindenburg cross bar like this, no way to tell which one he was.

You can PM me-- let's just say I'm not going to "share" the mit Schwerter numbers as long as there is any chance that someday I might FIND that medal bar. My guy may have ended up in the Widows & Orphans Pension Section of the OKH, but that's no reason to hand dealers information to raise their prices, eh? :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Now the set is almost complete, exept the name and the document...and of course the medal bar :unsure:

(Again thank you, stogieman!)

This fitting lapel button just arrvied (it belongs to this cross, but it was sold seperate on ebay):

-cross for war-aid Prussia

-Honor cross 4th class (2.div.) without swords Lippe-Detmold

-war honor medal (ribbon for non-combatants) lippe-Detmold

-Long service medal Prussia

-General honor cross (!) Prussia

-Red cross medal Prussia

Greetings

Solomon

Edited by Solomon

Amen to that Brother! :cheers: Wives have a way of impacting your collecting habits. "What do you mean we don't have money for groceries? I don't care if you ate mac and cheese and tuna in college for a month so you could buy some stupid Red Chicken Medal with swords on it. The children need milk and real food." :rolleyes::angry:

Amen!

But medals (?How much did that Bavarian cross cost??) :rolleyes: is a lot easier than my former life (?How much were those new propellers??) :angry: - boat racing.

Hey Solomon, much happiness and a great life to you both. :cheers:

Wild Card

Amen!

But medals (?How much did that Bavarian cross cost??) :rolleyes: is a lot easier than my former life (?How much were those new propellers??) :angry: - boat racing.

Hey Solomon, much happiness and a great life to you both. :cheers:

Wild Card

My wife only asks how many pakets the next week will arrive...about the costs I better say nothing :rolleyes:

But in June I?ve to reduce my buying...we?ll become a baby :cat:

Greetings

Solomon

Solomon,

Very nice!

Congratulations and all the best for you and your family for the future.

If you need a babysitter for your collection when the real baby arrives, please let me know. I don't live far away. :P

David

Thank you :P Hmm...i think we?ll need a babysitter for the baby in the future...my collection is allready grown-up :rolleyes:

By the way..how far is "not far away" ?

Best wishes,

Solomon