News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian soldier with the unknown award

Thank you Uwe,

I've already think about the version of Bulgarian award for "Civil merits", but the ribbons are strongly differ. The colouring is similar, but proportions are absolutely different

Gents, now please take look at the ribbonbar of this bavarian. The ribbon for the 4th award is the three-colored. It consists of three strips of identical width of white-green-red color. It reminds me a ribbon for a duchy Angalt medal "Fuer Treue in der Arbeit". Could it be this medal?

Edited by Sergio

Gents, now please take look at the ribbonbar of this bavarian. The ribbon for the 4th award is the three-colored. It consists of three strips of identical width of white-green-red color. It reminds me a ribbon for a duchy Angalt medal "Fuer Treue in der Arbeit". Could it be this medal?

I mean this medal

Edited by Sergio

Because of the fireman's medal, I thought it was similar to the Austria Hungary PRO DEO ET PATRIA Veteran's Medal non-combatant ribbon.... But not that one either because the green and red are separated by white.

We just had a discussion of this medal: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/56668-curious-medal-bar-and-a-question/

hungary_03.jpghungary_04.jpg

Edited by IrishGunner

I agree with Uwe that it's the Bulgarian Order for Civil Merit... Variation in what appears to be proportions could simply be manufactuer's variation.

It comes in six (6) classes and one of the lower classes would make sense for this bar...

Bg1ocm.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders,_decorations,_and_medals_of_Bulgaria

Here's a 4. Class that sold on bulgariamedals:

bigthumb_79dcb6df_bgcivmer4cboris3.jpg

Edited by IrishGunner

I'm not convinced this must be the Bulgarian... might it not be some medal of a chamber of industry and commerce, or something similar?

Of course, we can't conclusively rule out "some medal of a chamber of industry and commerce, or something similar," but do you have any examples? There are, indeed, precedents for ribbons of Bavarian medals in this non-military direction to be something other than the usual Bayern blau/weiss - for example the 1910 Agricultural Jubilee Medal...

2-786-1.jpg

Obviously, this isn't the medal on the bar - I provide it only as an example that Bavaria used other color ribbons - including green/red. But I can't find any Bavarian medal with the subject ribbon. Given the white, green red of our subject ribbon - the usual suspects would be Bulgarian, Hungary, or Italy. Of those, the closest is the Bulgarian Civil Merit and it seems to make sense on this bar - considering the lack of a MVK and the presence of the fireman's medal. In my neophyte opinion, of course. Nonetheless, there is still room for doubt ad you are correct - the word "must" is too strong. But the Bulgarian Civil Merit is the "most" likely suspect presented so far...

• 1 year later...