News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian State or Vet Assoc award?

• 6 months later...

This award is unofficial. It belongs to the so-called "vanity medals" sold to WW1 vets by various "Kriegervereine" during the Weimar Republic era. The Weimar Constitution, article 109, prohibited the making of official orders or decorations.

This award is unofficial. It belongs to the so-called "vanity medals" sold to WW1 vets by various "Kriegervereine" during the Weimar Republic era. The Weimar Constitution, article 109, prohibited the making of official orders or decorations.

Hi,

but these are Austrian, so not affected by Weimer.

I am not sure which ones, but some of the austrian goodies could be worn I think?

This award was actually produced by Fa. Juwelier Lemcke, Berlin. The retailer for Germany was J. Godet u. Sohn, also in Berlin.

The "Oesterreichischer Ehrenlegion" was created by the "Oesterreichischer Deutschen Kriegerbund", a nazi association. The wearing of this award was therefore forbidden at the time (before 1934) in Austria. Every German WW1 vet could buy one, weather he was serving with Austrian troops or not! (Reference: Internationales Militaria Magazin, November-December 2012; article "Im Felde unbesiegt...." by J. Nimmergut and U. Lautenschläger, page 12, illustration 12a representing a letter written on March 7. 1934 by J. Godet & Sohn and addressed to Fa. G. Scharffenberg, Dresden, refering to the Oesterreischiche Ehrenlegion).

Edited by j-sk