News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stahlhelm, just an veteran organisation or an armed Freikorps?

Hello everybody,

I collect Stahlhelm items from time to time. I would like to ask someone that really knows the answer of the question.

Was Stahlhelm an Armed freecorps unit that fought against the Soviet Bavarian republic? Or just an veteran organisation with just flags and boots?

Best regards

Hello and welcome to the forum. I don't know the answer to that one. I assumed it was purely a veteran's association slso would be intrigued to know if there was ever any more to it.

Any freikorps experts answer that one?

All the best,

Glenn.

The Stahlhelm was an unofficial Freikorps reserve force in early 1919 in Berlin and served as headquarters guards for General Maercker's Freiwilligen-Schützenkorps, when they were assaulting the Neue Marstall where the Volksmarinedivision were holed up.

After the arrival of several other Freikorps in Berlin in late January and early February 1919, the Stahlhelm went on the inactive reserve list and were relegated to their main status as a veteran organization.

The Stahlhelm was an unofficial Freikorps reserve force in early 1919 in Berlin and served as headquarters guards for General Maercker's Freiwilligen-Schützenkorps, when they were assaulting the Neue Marstall where the Volksmarinedivision were holed up.

After the arrival of several other Freikorps in Berlin in late January and early February 1919, the Stahlhelm went on the inactive reserve list and were relegated to their main status as a veteran organization.

Thank you! That is really cool new information!

Again Thanks!

Dennis

Well, I can't find the information I just got on Wikipedia.

Dennis

I'm not sure the source of the information I stated, as it's something I've known for a long time. It may have come from Robert G. L. Waite (Vanguard of Nazism) or Nigel Jones (Hitler's Heralds) or even von Salomon.