fukuoka

Some medals of Okuma Shigenobu, 17th Prime Minister of Japan

Mr Okuma was the 17th prime minister of Japan, and he has a wealth of accomplishments that you can read about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ōkuma_Shigenobu

He died in 1922. Let's look at a few of his medals. First, the 1st Class Order of the Rising Sun, awarded in February 1877.

The maximum file size for your membership per image is 350kb.

Used Pikasa (I have a Mac so the other software doesn't work) and was able to resize 1 photo. Then the function disappeared. Sheesh, it cant be this troublesome--it must be me.

Anyway, here's 1 picture. More coming, if possible.

It would suit me better to upgrade my membership so I can post nice pics. Any advice on that? That shouldn't be very hard. I looked at my profile, etc., but couldn't see a quick way to do it.

Rich, the maximum amount that you can add to your current uploading capacity is only 50kb.

The only way to do it quick is to buy Golden Subscription.

BTW, Super cool early 1st Class!

Edited by JapanX

I noticed that these are very low resolution, so I will try and make them a bit bigger for the next ones. Ready for an early Order of Paulownia Flowers?

The above piece was awarded on November 2, 1877. (EDITED because of mistaken date. See posts below.)

More coming later... To tempt you: Among others, Russian medals and a Collar of the Supreme Order of the Chrysanthemum!

Edited by fukuoka

Hi Richard,

beautiful pieces of a very important staesman and educator. Are these orders exhibited in the Marquis Okuma memorial musuem in Saga? I still plan to visit it some day.

Only, are you sure the date you mentioned that Okuma received his order of the Rising Sun with Pauwlonia is correct? The Peerage of Japan lists him already with it in it's publication of 1912. You may be mistaken with Okuma's foreign minister during his second cabinet, Kato Takaaki. Kato received his Paulownia on July 14th 1916, after he resigned as foreign minister (I have his order and Pauwlonia document in my collection)

Best regards,

Pieter

Sorry, wrong date. Nice heads up, pieter! The award date is November 2, 1877.

Mr. Okuma's 1889 Constitution Medal award document. Note that this is award #2!

Richard,

checked my books and on 14 july 1916 Okuma received the order of the Chrysanthemum (grand cordon).

Pieter

Regarding the Constitution medal document, prime minister Ito Hirobumi must have gotten #1.

As a side note, Okuma's later foreign minister Kato Takaaki was in 1889 Okuma's secretary (gaimu daijin hishyokan) and he too got the Consitution medal, the award certificate numbered 477.

Pieter