• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello. Fritz die spinne. There is no date on the pic of the Bavarians ? I asks because the man seated in the center ,a Gefreiter wears what looks as a Kunftigefriedensuniform very smart with long trousers with sous pied , and the two men seated in the extremes wears what looks as cord trousers

Hello!

I assume it´s the old coloured tunic. In Bavaria the numbers had to be removed November 14, 1916.

The bavarian "Friedensrock" was introduced Ovtober 20, 1916 and ALL brandenburg cuffs were replaced by swedish cuffs. Addotionally the bavarian Friedensrock had the Aichinger braid.

Here you see a bavarian Friedensrock from bIR16 (or bRIR16):

Scannen0001.jpg

Edited by The Prussian
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New year - back to the higher numbers? (And to some snow at least in pictures?) 😀

Feldartillerie-Batterie (Field artillery battery) Nr. 896 (raised by 12th bavarian FAR), immediately before departure from Landau on 24.2.1916.

Cheers

DSC01223.JPG

Edited by ArHo

Hello The Bavarian Artillery dont use ball topped helmets . in 1915 with the introduction of the Kunftigefriedensuniform appeared the ball topped helmet in the Bavarian Artillery

• 1 month later...
On 13/03/2013 at 06:51, Odulf said:

Reserve-Inf. Regt. 56

post-7824-0-20830000-1363171892.jpg

Quick question from a new researcher. I was able to confirm with the National Records in Germany my great-grandfather was in the 56 infantry regiment, 5th company reserves, part of the 121st infantry division. Is this a photo of his regiment? He fell on August 22, 1917 (presumably fighting in the Battle of Passchendaele) and is buried in Langemark Cemetary in Belgium and never met his only child. I've started compiling his story into a screenplay. Has anyone else seen photos of the 56th reserve infantry floating around? None of his letters survived so I'm hoping if I search enough pictures I may find his face in a photo one day. Also, by any chance, do you know where I could find more information about troop movements for his regiment? 

Thanks sincerely for any advice. 

4 minutes ago, Masurian's daughter said:

Quick question from a new researcher. I was able to confirm with the National Records in Germany my great-grandfather was in the 56 infantry regiment, 5th company reserves, part of the 121st infantry division. Is this a photo of his regiment? He fell on August 22, 1917 (presumably fighting in the Battle of Passchendaele) and is buried in Langemark Cemetary in Belgium and never met his only child. I've started compiling his story into a screenplay. Has anyone else seen photos of the 56th reserve infantry floating around? None of his letters survived so I'm hoping if I search enough pictures I may find his face in a photo one day. Also, by any chance, do you know where I could find more information about troop movements for his regiment? 

Thanks sincerely for any advice. 

Is this photo below also the 56th regiment and the same one that was in 5th company reserves, part of the 121st infantry division where my great-grandfather served?

Reserve infantry 56 1915.jpg

Hello!

The 2nd photo is a little bit small. I can´t read anything with "Reserve". Probably it was the active regiment.

Res.Rgt.56 was set-up August 2, 1914. It was under command of 13th Reserve-Division from 2.8.14-20.3.15 and from 25.3.15-December 1918 under 121st. Inf.Div.

The 13.Res.Div. fought 1914 and 1915 in Maubeuge and at the Aisne

The 121.Inf.Div. was 1915 between Maas and Mosel (Lorraine), 1916 at Verdun and at the Somme.  July 8, 1916 they moved to the Eastern Front near Styr-Stochod, Kowel and Narotch-Lake, but they came back in june 1917, where they fought in the "Siegfried-Line".

From 15.8.-23.9. they fought the "Battle of Flandres". Around the date he fell, the division was placed  south of the railway running from Ypres to Roulers at August 19

• 5 months later...
On 15/03/2020 at 03:18, The Prussian said:

Here are two soldiers from 56. Unfortunately I don´ t know, if reserve or active.

IMG_2449.jpg

IMG_2450.jpg

The man on the first photo wears surprisinly ankle boots and leggings with a well cut uniform . no rank badges , old model ammo pouches and 1898 Mauser . Interesting to search which was his position into the Regiment 

• 2 months later...