News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

This nice medalbar belonging to a NCO consists of an Eisernes Kreuz II. Klasse, Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz, Württembergische Silberne Militärverdienstmedaille, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer and the Dienstauszeichnung III. Klasse.

Unfortunately not. I just got this medalbar.

My theory about the holder is: Hamburg citizen, serving with the navy (hence the prussian long service award) onboard a ship which was somehow connected to the kingdom of Württemberg.

Nice bar...

A neophyte's question:

What regulated the order of non-Prussian awards; i.e. why the Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz before the Württembergische Silberne Militärverdienstmedaille?

By date awarded? Alphabetical by State? Was there a published order of precedence?

Nice bar...

A neophyte's question:

What regulated the order of non-Prussian awards; i.e. why the Hamburger Hanseatenkreuz before the Württembergische Silberne Militärverdienstmedaille?

By date awarded? Alphabetical by State? Was there a published order of precedence?

It depended on a lot of things. Sometimes states had their own precedence awards. For example, Mecklenburg-Schwerin regulations were: Prussian war time awards, mecklenburg war time awards, other states wartime awards, etc... Others, like Mecklenburg-Strelitz, had no rules of their own.

In this case the person was more likely from hamburg, sunce he mounted the hanseatic cross before the wurttemberg medal.When quite a number of medals are mounted on the same medal bar, precedence of the awards not from prussia and the wearer's state were often worn in order of importance of the state. Therefore, if we have someone from from Hamburg with bavarian and schaumburg-lippe awards, he will usually wear those from Bavaria (second biggest state with own army) in front of those of Schaumburg-Lippe (smallest state with 50000 people).

And sometimes there are bars with no particular order which are proven original. One must remember that the wearers were human like us. If they valued a medal more than another, than they would mount it where they wanted and ignore the regulations. An example is the KVK of WW2, which although it could be awarded to civilians it was stipulated that it had to be worn in front of WW1 awards (except the iron cross). A veteran of WW1 with state medals he got for bravery would often ignore this and mount it behind them...

As you have said, there are also some cases where they were mounted by dae awarded or even alphabetically!

Welcome to the confusing, bizarre yet very rewarding world of medal bar collecting