Ian Sayer

Polish Liason Officer with Foreign Military Attaches in Warsaw 1936

This officer appears to have acted as a liason officer between the various foreign military attaches weho were based in Warsaw in the mid to late 1930s. Can anyone identify this officer please.

Many thanks.

Ian, this is a great collection of photos, all of which seemed to be "farewell" mementos to Colonel Mario Marizzani. Unfortunately, I can't help you identify any of the officers further than what is written on the photo, but did want you to know at least one GMIC member is looking at them.

What research have you done already? Have you tried a simple Google search on any of the names?

I suspect any records may be long gone due to WWII, but perhaps something like ancestry.com could help.

Hi Rick. Thank you very much. There were about 30 photos altogether and I managed to identify some myself and others through similar forums but those I have posted here are mainly ones that I cannot decipher the signatures properly or lack any biographical information. I will repost the signatures of some of them so they are easier to read.

Regards
Ian

The signature on the photo reads "J.J. Axentowicz". Capt. Jan Axentowicz was a graduate of the French École Supérieure de Guerre of 1933. On the above photo, dated "7 XI 36" he is already a Major. He indeed accompanied foreign officers during their visits to Poland. He was a liason officed during Gen. Gamelin's visit in 1936. In 1939 LTC Jan Axentowicz held the post of the chief of staff of the 24th Infantry Division, yet I am not sure if that was the same person.

Ian, can I have a look at the other photos? Perhaps I will be able to tell you more.

Edited by Lukasz Gaszewski

Hi Lukasz

Many thanks for the information and identifying this Polish officer. I am most grateful . I wonder what happened to him. Maybe he was one of those executed at Katyn?

Which particular photos would you like to see. I have posted photos from this group in the French Section and Italian Section plus others in Sweden, Estonia, Latvia and Czechslovakia.

Have you seen them Lukasz

Regards

Ian