News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Okay, with a little help from Luftschiffharry, this may possibly be Artur Rinken, who drowned on the L19.

The L19 flew from Tondern Zeppelin base.

Rinken was born in Tondern in 1892.  Tondern was given to Denmark in the 1920s.

Based on the Danish Maker's mark and Assay mark this piece was made between 1932 and 1937.

How do you come to the conclusion of 1932-37?

The "J S" mark was used from 1932 but the "three towers" hallmark clearly says 1940.

Of course you never know what belongs together - the photo, the silver (with hallmarks) and the engraving of the Zeppelin... but the silver piece was made in 1940.

You probably know more about this than I do!--but the chart I read said "H.J." for Hans Jensen was used until 1937...

Ooops...just checked another chart...

https://www.925-1000.com/denmarkH.html

The same H.J. was picked up again in 1937 and used until 1957.

So the "40" on the Thre Towers means 1940?  Then all three marks line up at 1940. 

Thanks!

Edited by Luftmensch

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Not sure if any one can add any information on Naval Marine Pi!of ace ; Lt dR MI Gustav Brockhoff , who had five confirmed kills.

1/26th September 1916 , first victory , Russian flying boat, piloted by Lieut Gorkovenko and Unterofitser D Fair

2/8th May 1918 Sopwith Pup at Perched

3/12th June 1918 at Ostdunkerke 

4/3rd September 1918  DH4 E Furness , shot down.

5/26th October Balloon at Deinze

I am seeking any information on him , not sure if a photo exists.

Hopefully someone may able to help !!

Thank you

Steve

Steve,

He was stationed at SFS Angernsee in Latvia (Lake Engure) when he got  his first kill if that helps at all.  

Then later in action over Belgium it seems by the town names.

Baltic Sea Fleet naval pilot Starshiy Leitenant Arseniy Mikhailovich Gorkovenko and his mechanic Unterofitser D. Fai on M-9 nr.8 were shot down by two German Fokker E-types of the south coast of the Bay of Riga. it was during an attack by three M-9s on Seeflugstation Angern. the crew drowned. they were with "E" (Eh) Detachement of the 2nd Air Battalion (C/o The Aerodrome Forum)

Regards Eddie

Edited by Taz
    Additional Info about first kill

Hi Steve

If you have access to ancestry.de you can find good info on Gustav Brockhoff among Chroniken der Marine Besatzungen and a family tree. Here some short added info.

He was not Leutnant der MI, instead he started as Seekadett 010413, Fähn zS 030414,Vzfeuerw 280515,Lt dR MA 160316 (Reutlingen). Some awards: EKII 041016,LFAbz 191016,BMVO4 201216,EKI 181017,Bulg.Tapf.Orden 040418,EisHalbmond x

He was born 15.06.1895 Sayn-Neuwied, Coblenz and served through WW2 as Major dR. 

During his flying career in WW1 he served within the following flying units: MLFA J-thal, FEA 7, SFS A-see, Js 8, MFFA II, MFJ I, SFS Xanthi, Js 25, and lastly as leader of MFJ III.

There is no confirmation in German records that his claim on 08.05.1918 at Pervyse was confirmed so he apparently ended up with 4 victories.

Gunnar

Godet3.jpg.ffc960d2dc0e8101f347f36befd46555.jpg.c3ef883398895c8aff1618b24f09c7a6.jpgI just managed to take the photo of my Luftschiffer out of the Kompakt (see a few posts above) --and there is a name on the back!

case.jpg

It reads...

H. Tegtmeier

Nordholz  1917

Luftschiffharry and his great crew identified a MMT. Henry Tegtmeier who served on SL 8 and SL 20 under KptLt Guido Wolff.

Does anyone have his service record? Did he survive the war?

Comparing the studio portrait of young Henry above and in the crew photo below shows a more battle hardened Maschinist!

SL 8_Kdt Wolff_Besatzung.jpg

Tegtmeier_SL 8_MMt_01.jpg

Edited by Luftmensch

• 7 months later...

Today I want to present one of navy observer badges from estate of Kpt.Lt.d.R.M.A. Alfred Meyra (genannt Meyr). It has a mark on the reverse mention:

"A. Meyr"

"II. MFA"

He started navy service as an medical physician and moved to the navy air service 1915 as an Marine Stabsarzt.  He was trained as observer at SFS List and Warnemünde and had service at SFS Helgoland until November 1915.

then he was transfered to Sonderkommando in Turkey where he served as observer until July 1916. After training at SFS Wiek and short service at SFS Köslin he was sent to Romania as leader of a SFS. He took over the command of SFS Duingi on February 1917 and hold it until his death on 1st October 1917.

MaBA - SHAPER Br - Meyr (vs).jpg

MaBA - SHAPER Br - Meyr (rs).jpg

KptLtdRMA Meyr (Bild).JPG

Kind regards
    Alex

Edited by jaba1914

Alex.  This will be my first post.  If I go anywhere in this field, u and the others (Harry, John, Ferg, et al) will loom large in my efforts.  I am putting together a  book on my collection.  It is strictly WW1 German Aviation ?.  Here’s one item I’m sure u among the few have ever seen.  It it a hand-made 1914 Bullion sewn cloth and silk Zeppellin Battallion Standard.  It is all original.  It has all the details.  This came ftom  a 1960s German collection w 2 other original Zeppelin Banners.  Will post additional pictures of the details.   Looking for photographs or information on this particular unit or comments on this lovely piece.    Danka all.  Erik

09B272E9-DA76-414C-B058-6CF434B2C1BA.jpeg

Alex.  This will be my first post.  If I go anywhere in this field, u and the others (Harry, John, Ferg, et al) will loom large in my efforts.  I am putting together a  book on my collection.  It is strictly WW1 German Aviation ?.  Here’s one item I’m sure u among the few have ever seen.  It it a hand-made 1914 Bullion sewn cloth and silk Zeppellin Battallion Standard.  It is all original.  It has all the details.  This came ftom  a 1960s German collection w 2 other original Zeppelin Banners.  Will post additional pictures of the details.   Looking for photographs or information on this particular unit or comments on this lovely piece.    Danka all.  Erik

155080FF-A87E-474F-9045-1A336478C061.jpeg

C58C882A-96DD-4C24-AA47-FD224E84C7AF.jpeg

Naval German Badges 

the Meybauer Commemorative is stamped somewhat weakly but identical logo under the loop w Panda’s copy.  It has two rivets suggesting a high-end repair.   The solder is time period.  It is a high-grade repair - something a faker would never spend time repeating.  The front is an exact match w textbook examples. See Pandis Central Powers Revised (2020) page 85 .  Comments?   Anybody up for a conversation on Naval Godets Badges?  

B0037905-E68B-4664-A06B-53ABB916E130.jpeg

223091A1-CB07-45D1-AC6E-6CA9011BD77A.jpeg

Hi Erik,

welcome to this forum and for your posts.

I never seen an banner like this and I don't belive that this is from the WW1 period.

The details and the quality is not as banners I seen from other units. I think this is a postwar piece.

I'm sorry that I have to bring you bad news but I don't like the Commemorative badge. It has the Meybauer stamp but it is not a badge by this maker.  I worked with Pandis on his latest revision of his book about the German navy aviatio badges, but a badge like you is not included.

Loo on this post for a Meybauer style badge.  This is also presented in Pandis book.

Kind regards

Alex

Edited by jaba1914

I sent to Panda but I dn have the right pixel to submit and include in his book. I just bought a Fuji XT30 and will upgrade my pictures  as soon as I master the new camera. He said it is a variation on the same one u mentioned. He liked it a lot. This came from a private collection of the highest pedigree.  If u like pedigree, I will be posting early naval canvass from James Baldwin’s personal collection.  Meanwhile.... here is a tease if u love naval badges....  

311BAE7C-16A6-4D42-A4FE-79F0B4EF3135.jpeg

I don't have the printed version of the book, only a digital draft version for review and there is no commemorative badge on page 85.

The resolution is not good but this is not a Meybauer badge at all. Hinge and pin are not similar to known piece of this maker so far. I can proof the estate  and for me this doesn't make any difference.

I also not agree the theory that the badges with a ray back are made by Godet.

I love to see more of your navy aviation pieces.

Edited by jaba1914