News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Orders in Tamatebako Miyake (Boxes for Nobles and Foreigners)

JapanX

• Replies 206
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. The rarest of them all is of course Sacred Crown ...

Here we have a photo of Chrysanthemum and Sacred Crown Orders awarded to Romanian King Ferdinand and Queen Maria.

Edited by JapanX

Ralph, this is not Tamatebako Miyake.

This is privately commissioned (by cavalier or his family) large lacquered case for presentable storage of docs and awards.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, great thread Nick! These absolute beauties have fascinated me for awhile.

It's still a little unclear to my ignorant mind HOW one received these awards.

Were they awarded to only a select elite - court nobles, certain foreigners, etc?

What determined that a German major army instructor would receive one of these very rare cased awards instead of the standard case?

Hey, great thread Nick! These absolute beauties have fascinated me for awhile.

It's still a little unclear to my ignorant mind HOW one received these awards.

Were they awarded to only a select elite - court nobles, certain foreigners, etc?

What determined that a German major army instructor would receive one of these very rare cased awards instead of the standard case?

:)

Sometimes japanese orders can be found in these beautiful and unusual “boxes with tassels”. These are Tamatebako Miyake – Boxes for Court Nobles. They are also known (in the West) as “boxes for foreigners” or “diplomatic boxes”. “Boxes for foreigners” is an inaccurate name for these beauties and “diplomatic boxes” is simply a wrong one. Why? These are not “boxes for foreigners” because members of Imperial House also got their orders in these boxes (as well as “foreigners”). They are not “diplomatic boxes” since all foreigners got their orders in such boxes (diplomats, military men, ministers, professors, etc.)

OK, now I'm really sounding ignorant. I did read the explanation from the first page but I'm still missing something.

I understand that ALL court nobles received their awards in these boxes for that particular time period.

But why did some foreigners receive these boxes whilst others did not?

But why did some foreigners receive these boxes whilst others did not?

Before late 20s (early 30s?) all foreigners receive their orders in these boxes.

Why do you think that some received their orders in these boxes and others didn't.

Edited by JapanX

• 1 month later...