News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My first thread, and sorry if my search missed something already covered.

Here is a subject of little interest to most but to me all the same.

I wondered if anyone had any photos of either the parade baton or interimstab of a Bavarian field marshal? I cannot find anything online, or in my photo books that is helpful. The usual photos of Ludwig III or Leopold or Rupprecht only show one side of the batons, and no detail of the caps. They seem to show a distinct individuality as Leopold's appears much different than the King's or Rupprecht's (parade batons).

I have not found any in the few auction catalogues I am able to access.

Help, please?

Give the medal guys a chance.....

Thanks for that. I will also post there. Well, wait a minute. I am a ninny. I see that THIS IS the medals and orders forum and your comment was an admonshment to be patient. I started a duplicate thread which I doubt will double my chances of success. I hope someone, somewhere, has something as I have been at this for a long while.

Edited by filfoster

The auctioneers who would, if one were to come on the market, most likely handle it would be either Theis or Zeige. As far as I am aware the only German WWI Fieldmarshals batons to appear are Prussian. Surely the army at that level would be under central German control and presumably any post 1871 Fieldmarshal would be nominated by the Kaiser. I suspect that Bavarian Fiedmarshal's batons only exist prior to unification. I certainly have never seen one come up for sale. I expect that is why there have been no replies because no one on this forum has seen one. I'm not sure whether there is a military musuem in Munich, maybe they might be able to help.

Paul

Hello

The Bayerisches Armeemuseum (Bavarian Army Museum) in Ingolstadt has 3 Field Marshal batons of King Ludwig III.: his Bavarian parade baton and both of his interim batons (Bavarian and Prussian).

I took some pictures, whenn I was there last time. Due to the glass cas it was not easy to make good pictures.

Regards

Rudi

Edited by Bavaria

Rudi: Many, many thanks! Yes, this is the same parade baton that Ludwig appears to be holding in many photos, including a good one in the Jan Kube book of many years back.

Question: Do you recall if it was this pattern on all sides? I must assume so.

It is interesting that a photo of a military review in Germany interwar, of Princes Rupprecht and Leopold, show each holding Bavarian parade batons of different appearance. (Yes, I know they were both also Prussian field marshals but these batons are distinctly not the Prussian pattern). The batons they hold are not only different from the Ludwig III but also from each other! It may have been that Bavarian field marshals, particularly of the Royal House, were allowed a lattitude in the design of their own batons.

The top interimstab appears to be a Prussian one, which would be correct also as Ludwig III was made a Prussian field marshal.

The middle one is clearly the Bavarian interimstab.It is the only color photo I have ever seen, and has more detail than any photo I have yet seen.

I will treasure these photos as they are likely the only ones I will ever see, in color and close detail!

Edited by filfoster