News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Japanese Capital Rehabilitation Commemoration medal

Gensui

Gents,

Today, I’d like to share my latest acquisition with you.

My shortly arrived set of “Japanese Capital Rehabilitation Commemoration medal”, incl. the medal itself, the case and the medal wrapping paper.

In my opinion, a nice catch with the Osaka Mint "M" hallmark on top of the knob.

Now, I’m looking for the award document to complete this set :whistle:

Any offers are welcome :P

BR, Chris

Only (?) 35,000 minted, if I am not mistaken.

35 000?!

I think this number is incredibly small when compared to how frequently we are encountering this medal.

Feels more like 350 000...

Mint story book give this number Rich?

Now, I’m looking for the award document to complete this set :whistle:

They're out there! Rare. I've never seen one on ePay, but I'm sure they've popped up there too.

Now you need another medal with a wrapper marked from Showa 6th year! ;)

My information came from an extraordinary source I just got yesterday: 2000 pages of primary documents from the Decorations Bureau. I had no idea this 2-volume set existed, and was surprised to find it. So excited since there is medal info on every page. Not always the kind we are looking for, but I am sure I will find a lot in here.

Let me look closer at the numbers for this medal (numbers are not given for every medal, sorry to say...) to confirm.

(BTW, the same chart showed that 42, 000 paper wraps were ordered.)

That would mean in conclusion:

a) no other makers

b) "only" 35,000 (official-minted) pieces

(or c) unmarked Osaka-minted pieces)

Right?

Every example I have seen had the Japan Mint 'M' hallmark.

Unmarked specimens exist?

My information came from an extraordinary source I just got yesterday: 2000 pages of primary documents from the Decorations Bureau.
    Cool! :cheers:

Unmarked specimens exist?
    Not to my knowledge Rich.

Never saw one unmarked or with different mark than M...

Never heard about anyone who encountered unmarked "Rehabilitation" either ...

I bet that if all our colleagues will check their medals today - all these will be marked with M.

I wonder if I am right about this "all medals are marked with M", so please guys help me out here ;)

Edited by JapanX

Does anyone know what the difference is of the wrap with Showa 6th year, 2-gatsu (February) and Showa 7th year 3-gatsu (March). Was the later issue to award claims for the medal that came in later?

Pieter

I think they simply minted and awarded them for several years.

Same story with Showa medals. As far as I remember they minted and awarded them in 1928, 1929 and 1930.

My information came from an extraordinary source I just got yesterday: 2000 pages of primary documents from the Decorations Bureau. I had no idea this 2-volume set existed, and was surprised to find it. So excited since there is medal info on every page. Not always the kind we are looking for, but I am sure I will find a lot in here.

Let me look closer at the numbers for this medal (numbers are not given for every medal, sorry to say...) to confirm.

(BTW, the same chart showed that 42, 000 paper wraps were ordered.)

That's a great find! Can you specify more detailed, what kind of documents these are? Is it any official volume or some (yet) not published sources from any archive?