News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Help! Unidentified Silver Medal

stupot1

Interestingly the medal bears the toughra of Sher Ali (1863-66. 1868-79), who was ousted by the British in 1879 and died on the way to exile in Russian Turkestan.

As far as I am aware this is the earliest Afghanistani medal that I know of. Information on Afghani medals, especially the earlier pieces is virtually non-existent and there is no research lines available. It is possible that a member of this forum may be able to provide a translation, although it is not he easiest of languages to translate. It is quite possible that this medal was soldiers booty from the 2nd Afghan War. Whatever most interesting, The tiger's head blow the legend is reminiscent of the design on the Afghan stamps of the period.

If you PM me I will give you my E-mail address and if you can send me an image I may be able to get some help from other sources.

Paul

• 1 year later...

Gentlemen,

I appear to have missed this - the lower inscription reads "Meer Sher Ali" - the "Meer" is probably "Emir" being commander or prince - and fits in with Paul's earlier comments. The upper inscription is difficult and could be in two parts the first letter is illegible but the rest appears to be without "small" vowels "_ H - M h N A"

I attach courtesy of "W K P D A" an image of Emir Sher Ali.

Kind regards,

Owain

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gentlemen,

Long time ago, I was able to buy this medal on the british web auction site speedbid.com

I knew it was a rare medal, then I asked to Prof Tammam of Basel, who replied me that it is the rarest medal in the world (with the always enthusiastic sound of his voice). Actually I do not like the thought "rarest medal in the world", there is plenty of rarities in phaleristic that only a handfull of specimen have survived over the years. This afghan medal is certainly one of the rarest.

Mine seems to be mounted with its authentic suspension device, despite I guess that one could have been added late XIX or early XX Century by the soldier or officer who brought it back from Afghanistan to Britain.

The medal is in silver, 43 grammes with ribbon & suspension device.

The Star is 48 millimeters wide.

Hope you'll envoy the photo.

Emmanuel

These are others view of the same star.

Reverse of the pin reads : STERLING

The center is a separate very thin piece, that soldered (if so very neatly) or lightly hammered (then lightly polished).

It is NOT a crude item at all. The way the craftman who did this piece did it, is very well.

All the best.

Emmanuel