News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pretty stupid soldier....

... i am between two camps here... i think if i was 19 and in the army again I would have wanted one as well, but with a bit more age and hopefully a bit more grown up... I can see the damage something like this may do... The french high command are trying to identify the soldier in the picture in Mali... and he will probably get his ass kicked....

The really interesting question would be: Can the esteemed member of the boards identify his unit?

I've seen the death head in French clips before, but these were AFAIK videos of pilots of the Foreign Legion from 2008 (which would contradict the suggestion that it is an hommage to a character from Call of Duty 2 which was released in 2009). For those interested: Around 4:45-4:50.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ol74hOJtWOA

Anyway, I don't think that the death head symbolism entered the military only after the release of COD ...

As I have absolutely no idea about French military culture I don't know if this is a thing special to French troops on Africa or a general symbolism or something the Foreign Legion is known for. Any experts on French military culture here?

Hi,

the green sleeve diamond is a legion badge.

To the above, the legion has no pilots, these are regular french Air Force.

There is no French Skull tradition in the army, although boys will be boys, I think there was a "Normal" amount of skull patches and badges in France in the 1980-90s as well.

Like I said, I dont think this was BAD, just stupid in the modern day and age to do something like that.......

Einbauschrank

Sadly, even First World countries use a certain amount of that kind of training these days. I know that Canadian Army artillery units get a specified [small] number of rounds with which to do their annual live fire exercises. A few years ago one of our pilots won the coveted 'Top Gun' award in a US air to air combat contest, despite having been limited to TWO missiles for practice that year. Of course, at $400,000 EACH, one can almost sympathize with the 'penny-pinchers' at GHQ. :(

And, as for 'stupid soldier(s), I don't disagree, but think about the type of guys - Chris B. excepted of course - who often join the infantry. Big bangs, really cool uniforms and a chance to shoot at real people. Who wouldn't want a few skulls to complete the outfit?

Edited by peter monahan

• 2 years later...

This soldier has been identified - "Eddy" of the 666th Foot (Devils Own?) as he appeared at Balaclava.

He should've kept his ...er...balaclava on.

An associate of an Iron Maiden he could be a bit of a Walt. given that he represents the charge of the Light Brigade and he's called a trooper but he's dressed as an infantry private and armed with a sword - and his regiment doesn't exist.

The fact that he contains alcohol may have some bearing on his appearance and behaviour - there's no football today so I'll go cause a ruck at Balaclava

But he still makes a good backdrop to my barbecue.

bsi_iron383~2.jpg

Edited by leigh kitchen

• 3 weeks later...

I was that dumb at 20, though skulls were never my thing.  Hell, I carruied a swagger stick around college for a while!  OTOH, the French troops in Mali were dong some 'hearts and mind' stuff as well as potentially engaging armed opponents, so I can see why his superiors would not have been amused.