News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps Iron Cross Documents...

Hello Chris,

Your first signature is from GenLt Ludwig Ritter von Tutscheck, third and also last commander of the Alpenkorps ( since 5th of September 1917 until the end).

The second one is from GenLt Leo Sonntag, a Prussion General who was commander between 1st of March 1917 until 4th of September 1917.

The first commander of the Alpenkorps was Gen Konrad Krafft von Dellmensingen until the 28th of February 1917. A picture of his signature is attached below.

Regards

Rudi

Hi Rudi,

What I dont understand, is that Krafft von Dellmensingen was on the 1st variation Alpenkorps EK docs (Printed by "Kunst im Druck), then Sonntag.... Then on the later 2nd variation printed by Dietz & Lüchtrath there is with Ritter von Tutscheck, but once again with Krafft von Dellmensingen... the Reihenfolge doesnt work.... ?

Hello Chris,

I´ve several EK documents and I can itentify this types:

1st type: from "Kunst im Druck", "Italien" and "Nord-Frankreich" is not mentioned at the battle-colums at the left and on the right side,

2nd type: from "Dietz", "Italien" and "Nord-Frankreich" are mentioned at the battle-colums.

Usually the soldiers get first a interim/preliminary document for their EK and later a handsome EK-document (e.g. "Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis") such as the Alpenkoprs-document. Between both dates some time passed by and in the end they used just the documents they had available. So I have 2 documents for soldiers who got their EK at the 28th of October 1917. One document ist a 1st type signed by v. Krafft (also he wasn´t commander anymore!) and the other one ist a 2nd type signed by v. Tutschek.

v. Tutschek´s signature can also found on both types.

Regards

Rudi

Edited by Bavaria

And... P.S.

Other than the Alpenkorps Vordrück... what is the Earliest issued EK document you have seen to the Alpenkorps? I dont mean award date, but date the document was issued.

I have some 1917 dated documents from the 1st bavarian Jäger Regt for 1914 and 1916 awards... but those are my earliest award documents to the Alpenkorps....

Thanks

Chris

Agreed... I think Units down to Company level got Blank docs and filled them in as they needed, irrespective of the signature.

I saw on Ancestry the record of a man where "Issued Alpenkorps EK certificate" was entered in his record.

I would be interested in your opinion on this ;-)

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/53942-why-did-bavarians-have-better-prussian-docs/

Have you seen a Leib regt doc like that before?

Hello Chis

The Leiber-document is amazing! I can´t remember that I´ve ever seen one before.

I know the first Alpenkorps-document for Iron Crosses (black-and-white printing), but I haven´t one in my collection (not yet).

My earliest document is attached below, but it just witnesses, that this soldier got his EK at the 24.12.1916, but unfortunaltelly not, when he got this certificate.

Edited by Bavaria

Here is a "Vorläufiges Besitzzeugnis" of 1. Jäger-Regiment to a Fähnrich of 2. JgBtl, who was awarded his EK II at the 20th of July 1916, but the document was issued at the 12th July of 1917, almost one year later! OK, it might be a second document due to loosing the first one (but we don´t know).

Please pay attention to the signature: Oberstleutnant (later Oberst) Karl Paulus, (Pour le Merite in 1918).

Edited by Bavaria

It seems to be common, that there was some time between the real award ("fix the EK on the soldier´s breast") and also doing the paper work ("also give him his document"). Here is an other document of 1. JgRgt: Jäger Meyer got his EK on 11th of November 1916 and his document also in July 1917.

Until April 1917 the regiment participated in the Romanian-campaign and they were in trench warfare during June and July 1917, but at Oberelsaß (quite calm).

So it seems they used the time doing administration work.

Hi,

the Alpenkorps one has the date A Reich 1917, so it is that late. my earliest one is to an award in 1914! The Alpenkorps did not even exist then ;-)

My 1st Jäger regt ones are also Mid 1917 for 1916 awards,

The one is a 2. Jäger an EK1, awarded October 1916, doc in 15th July 1917... then a hand written doc from the 2. Jager, issued 2 days later, 17th July 1917 for an award made in November 1914.

I dont think Alpenkorps guys got EK docs before mid 1917, just militärpass entrys for the EK.

I do have a 10th reserve Jäger doc from August 1916, but no mention of the date of the award....

• 7 years later...