News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Marshall Chuikov's US DSC

Here's the citation: dated Jan '44 - seems to be for "everything"

Awarded for actions during the World War II:

The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of
    Congress, July 9, 1918, takes pleasure in presenting the Distinguished
    Service Cross to Lieutenant General Vasilii Ivanovich Chuikov, Army of
    the U.S.S.R., for extraordinary heroism in connection with military
    operations against an armed enemy, in action against our common enemy,
    Germany, in World War II. Lieutenant General Chuikov's outstanding
    accomplishments, personal bravery and zealous devotion to duty exemplify
    the highest traditions of the Armed Forces of the Allied Nations.

General Orders: War Department, General Orders No. 3 (January 6, 1944)

Action Date: World War II

Service: Foreign

http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=22856

I think that it was awarded for his entire service in the war. That is how I would view it, based upon the wording. If it were for a certain battle, time period, or act, it would have stated so on the citation. That is the way US awards are cited.

That is how I would view it, based upon the wording.

.... for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations against an armed enemy...

I wonder what this extraordinary heroism might be :whistle:

The awarding was made almost after one year in January 1944 ....

If it were for a certain battle, time period, or act, it would have stated so on the citation. That is the way US awards are cited.

Not on citations for soviets ;)

These are pretty vague usually.

I think the main reason for this awarding was his participation in Stalingrad battle.

And since he was HSU he got DSC (standard combination that we know from these photos http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/8433-us-army-decorations-awarded-to-red-army-personnel-in-world-war-ii/page-6)

Edited by JapanX

I wonder what this extraordinary heroism might be :whistle:

The awarding was made almost after one year in January 1944 ....

Not on citations for soviets ;)

These are pretty vague usually.

I think the main reason for this awarding was his participation in Stalingrad battle.

And since he was HSU he got DSC (standard combination that we know from these photos http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/8433-us-army-decorations-awarded-to-red-army-personnel-in-world-war-ii/page-6)

Well, Stalingrad probably figured into the equation, but it was by no means the "main" reason. US awards to foreigner senior officers are mainly political in nature. A gesture. A token. Probably during the visit of a US military delegation. That's why the citations are vague. I wouldn't "think" too much into this...unless you have documented evidence that it was specifically for Stalingrad.

Edited by IrishGunner

US awards to foreigner senior officers are mainly political in nature. A gesture. A token.

Definitely Rick!

But there should be a reason for inluding this particular guy "on the list" ;)

Anyway, let it be my im-very-ho :)

Edited by JapanX

Definitely Rick ;)

But there should be a reason for inluding this particular guy "on the list" ;)

Anyway, let it be my im-very-ho :)

As I said, no doubt Stalingrad figured into the choice of a DSC. Few foreigners received a DSC in WW2. Bernard Montgomery only received a DSM. I am not intending to take anything away from Chuikov for his fight at Stalingrad.

Of course, I'm " over thinking" into the question as well. ;) However, in January 1944, US Ambassador Harriman sent several cables to Washington complaining of a Soviet "runaround" on several proposals from the Tehran Conference, as well as on several proposals sent by Washington to the military attache MG Deane. Having been in the attache business myself and having worked in Washington, it is easy for me to imagine someone saying, "Look the one year anniversary of Stalingrad is coming up; let's toss Chuikov a DSC as a symbol of how important we view the Soviet war effort and hopefully, that will help things on the political front." I think that's the "reason" you seek for why he's on this list.

I guess with both of our "humble opinions", we both win! :beer:

Edited by IrishGunner

In memory of the Hero City of Stalingrad and Marshal Chuikov:

Today is the 70th Anniversary of the end of the battle of Stalingrad - and today, Volgograd is again named, "Stalingrad"

NY Times article... http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/01/world/europe/volgograd-named-stalingrad-again-at-least-sometimes.html?ref=europe&_r=1&