News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Iron Cross, 2nd Class, Leutnant der Reserve, Feldartillerie Regiment Nr 45

The listing, when I was buying it:

1914 IRON CROSS 2nd CLASS - LEUTNANT der RESERVE - FELDARTILLERIE-REGIMENT Nr 45. This is an award document for the 1914 Iron Cross 2nd Class and the actual Iron Cross. The awardee was Leutnant der Reserve Paulsen, who served in Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr 45. The award was made on 9 June 1916. The document, which measures 4" x 6 1/2," bears the regimental stamp, and the regimental commander's signature (he was a major). The 1914 Iron Cross that accompanies the document is in fine condition. It has a ribbon.

Later, I emailed the seller about the title "Leutnant der Reserve" asking if it's some kind of Second Lieutenant, or sub-Lietenant or similar? His reply:

Many nations (including the U.S.) still have a rank of reserve officer AND regular army. You man is a full blown officer. He was in the reserves and not the regular army. The only real difference is that he was not a career officer. He served one or two years active service and with the beginning of the war and then he was most likely called back to active duty. With the expansion of the army more officers were needed. Also, a man could be promoted from Enlisted Man/NCO ranks and would be made a reserve officer even during the war. That would separate him from regular army. Hope this helps and we look forward to serving you again in the future. And yes he was a 2nd Lieutenant. This also happened in the Navy.

image11ab.jpg

The regimental commander was Wilhelm Kraut (1867-1929).

He or his adjutant made a mistake on the award document. Dr. jur. Paul Paulsen was born on 5 March 1887, not 5 March 1897. He received his doctorate in law from the University of Würzburg in 1911. He was commissioned a Leutnant der Reserve in FAR 45 on 18 December 1912. His home town, Pinneberg, is is Schleswig-Holstein, just to the northwest of Hamburg and about 7 miles from FAR 45's barracks in Altona (which no longer exists, the area is now an industrial park). His dissertation was titled "Die Hochseesegelfischerei von Finkenwärder und Blankenese", so I would guess he was working in maritime law in Altona when the war began.

He was lightly wounded early in 1916. He was promoted to Oberleutnant der Reserve on 4 May 1918.

Another Paulsen was commissioned a Leutnant der Reserve in the same regiment on 25 January 1917, so maybe he had a brother.

Wow! That is information I never dreamed I'd ever find out and wasn't even the reason I posted the image; I was just wanting to share the piece in general.

So thank you, sincerely, Dave. That's great! Totally unexpected and a great surprise :)

Edited by Rob Irwin