News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Victorian Rank Badges?

Gents, these are not my area but I would appreciate your thoughts…I guess from the crown they date from the Victorian era. I picked both the Sgt stripes and crown up for £30, which I didn’t think was much for what appear to be quality made items. The red background on the crown is worn more than on the stripes, suggesting they may not have always been together, however they have both tarnished fairly equally.

Are the stripes Victorian too?

Would they be for a service or dress tunic?

Are they worth the £30 as a set?

Cheers, Gregg.

Hi Gregg,

This is the rank badge of a Troop Sergeant Major of Cavalry for all Dragoon Guards and Dragoons (except 6th Dragoon Guards), all Hussars (Except 11th, 13th & 21st) and all Lancers (Except 17th & 21st). It was worn on the right arm only. The lace pattern (Bias & Stand) was universal (Even for Irish & Scottish regiments in Victorian times) for wear on full dress tunics. Stable jackets, patrol jackets and service frocks tended to use simple gold cloth chevrons with padding behind. After 1902 the bias & stand laced stripes were to be worn on all uniforms except khaki. Strangely enough, the full dress gold lace chevrons were often to be seen on the khaki service jackets worn in the Sudan and Boer wars.

Hope this helps

Bruce

PS. The Crown over 3 Chevrons (With a red backing) was also worn by Battery and Staff Sergeants in the Royal Artillery. However, there was a gun badge between the crown and chevrons, liikewise for the Army Ordnance Corps who had a crossed hammer & pincers badge between.

Hi Bruce, I appreciate the detail in your reply, thank you. I would like to look out for other Victorian badges like these - is there a good reference book that you would recommend on the subject? Regards, Gregg