News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

British enamel ribbon bars

I just came across another British enamel ribbon bar of the 1939 star.  Unfortunately, there are no maker's marks on the reverse.  I'll post better photos, once I have them in hand. 

s-l64.jpg

s-l64-1.jpg

Edited by azyeoman

1 hour ago, larsb001 said:

Slightly off topic, but you do see these enamel ribbons on miniatures as well, here's an example ....

er.thumb.jpg.be7332504d3271893c27cbf24bae647d.jpg

I like this beauty! Congratulations on it! In imperial Germany there were very few buttonhole decorations made out of porcelain, but ribbons made of enamel is unknown to me for German decorations. So interesting you guys have it in the UK. 

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

Although not enamel, this is one of the strangest ribbon bars I've ever seen.  It's a pin back bronze frame with 

"Prov.Pat.A.J> P & Co Ld" (A J Pepper & Co.) on the reverse there is a window that has been cut through the metal and had the initials R.E.   What's odd is that the ribbon, an British Transport Medal ribbon but behind glass!  

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

ribbon bar rev.jpeg

Ribbon Bar Obv.jpeg

Yeah you see these glass ones from time to time, iv one with the territorial ribbon (it's somewhere in the house), heres one that looks like a QSA but I think it's US, though did get it from the uk

20220621_140904.jpg

Edited by paddywhack

5 hours ago, paddywhack said:

Yeah you see these glass ones from time to time, iv one with the territorial ribbon (it's somewhere in the house), heres one that looks like a QSA but I think it's US, though did get it from the uk

20220621_140904.jpg

That's a great one.  I think it's a QSA as I don't know of any US ribbons that resemble that at all.  Was it made by A J Pepper Ltd. too?  It makes sense that it's a QSA as the Transport Medal was in the same time period.  Thanks for posting!

5 hours ago, paddywhack said:

Sorry should have added the back!! doesn't look like it was made by the same company 

20220622_131728.jpg

Thanks for adding that!  It’s a completely different company. I wonder what the “Wilts” indicates?  A surname? The regiment?  I’d guess the former, but… you never know. Thanks again for posting this! 

On 03/02/2013 at 14:20, azyeoman said:

This is a very nice enamel ribbon bar. Were many of these made for various ribbons? Were trios made as well?

post-7116-0-93118500-1359854313.jpg

post-7116-0-11189000-1359854331.jpg

post-7116-0-10960300-1359854339.jpg

This is a very nice enamel ribbon bar. Were many of these made for various ribbons? Were trios made as well?

Hi

This ribbon bar appears to be made in the UK, judging by the fittings and the mark looks like: M J & Co. The "BM" is probably for Birmingham.

The other one that also uses the 14-15 Star colours is possibly Canadian, again based on the fittings as it matches badges that I have that are made by, say, Scully.

As someone who has done some hobby vitreous enameling, I can comment that the work is of very good quality as the red will frequently turn brownish over some metals. These colours are transparents. The British War Medal ribbon bar uses a combination of a transparent orange and then opaque blue, white and black.

I would also suggest that these items have been struck in a die so probably existed in some numbers but clearly have not survived well.

I have a small bar in QSA colours that has a large "C" applied to it. Lord Strathcona's Horse? Canadian Scouts?

On 09/04/2021 at 01:07, paddywhack said:

Very old thread but heres my offering to it!picked it up on eBay,no marks on the back just a brass plate and pin.

iv a other enameled 14/15 ribbon some where just can't find it

20210323_165358_002.jpg

Sorry, correction: my previous post said "opaque blue" and I see that it is actually transparent, as is the orange. 

On 21/06/2022 at 07:12, azyeoman said:

Although not enamel, this is one of the strangest ribbon bars I've ever seen.  It's a pin back bronze frame with 

"Prov.Pat.A.J> P & Co Ld" (A J Pepper & Co.) on the reverse there is a window that has been cut through the metal and had the initials R.E.   What's odd is that the ribbon, an British Transport Medal ribbon but behind glass!  

ribbon bar rev.jpeg

Ribbon Bar Obv.jpeg

Hi, I've got one that is identical and has a ribbon in RFC colours and with "R.F.C." in letters in the little "window" to the reverse!

Hi John

Sure, I'll dig out the QSA with the "C" and also the RFC bar. I seem to recall once seeing a miniature MC that was suspended from a small "white/purple/white" enamel brooch.

Cheers

Ray

5 hours ago, azyeoman said:

Thanks for adding that!  It’s a completely different company. I wonder what the “Wilts” indicates?  A surname? The regiment?  I’d guess the former, but… you never know. Thanks again for posting this! 

I'm guessing that it is for Wiltshire Regiment as my one that has the RFC ribbon under glass has "RFC" in that little clear panel. I'd assumed that it came from some military outfitter's and was part of their sample display.

On 02/05/2022 at 06:18, azyeoman said:

As mentioned above, here are close ups of the '39 Star enamel ribbon bar.  Has anyone see similar enamel ribbon bars for other WWII medals?

P1050941.JPG

P1050942.JPG

Sometimes called "the toffee wrapper" because of the colour. I'm told that the ribbon came out before the medal was issued. I once knew an old WW2 Navy man who was given the ribbon to sew on a good deal before the medal...

On 15/03/2022 at 23:22, larsb001 said:

Slightly off topic, but you do see these enamel ribbons on miniatures as well, here's an example ....

er.thumb.jpg.be7332504d3271893c27cbf24bae647d.jpg

Really nice quality and a very early miniature. I once saw a listing for a group that had miniatures including Ghuznee, Punjaub and other early awards, all with enamel ribbons. Big thing about enamel is that it is FRAGILE, easily damaged and virtually impossible to fix.

7 hours ago, azyeoman said:

I'd love to know myself what it means, it would be great if it was a surname, il have a look over the weekend to see if I can find that other glass single ribbon bar 

Hi

Here are the pins I mentioned. I noticed the "BIRKS" mark to the reverse so that settles that question. The other one has always puzzled me as it's not really a proper ribbon for a medal but it is the RFC colours.

Cheers

Ray  :)

canqsa.JPG

canqsa1.JPG

rfcbar.JPG

rfcbar1.JPG

Those are great!  I bet the small QSA with “C” is a veteran lapel pen, but what does the “C” mean?  It’s the first time I’ve seen that. These are excellent additions to the thread!!! 

3 hours ago, azyeoman said:

Those are great!  I bet the small QSA with “C” is a veteran lapel pen, but what does the “C” mean?  It’s the first time I’ve seen that. These are excellent additions to the thread!!! 

I took the "C" to be for Canada and the BIRKS mark lends weight to this. The badge came from  a  Canadian dealer way back! :)

Hi

I have found a silver mark for M.J & Co in Birmigham with the dates !918-1920 attributed to it. No name but there is an earlier mark for Michael Joseph, without the "Co"

7 hours ago, azyeoman said:

On 21/06/2022 at 07:12, azyeoman said:

ribbon bar rev.jpeg

Ribbon Bar Obv.jpeg

Just wondered if the colours on this ribbon have any meaning to the R.E. My RFC one is the colours for them but, to my knowledge, has no link to any medal ribbon. The Australian Flying Corps (AFC) do use these same colours.