News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unusual and interesting Soldier photo

I think Infanterie Regiment 40

This is a very interesting photograph for me for many reasons. First, Feldwebelleutnant is an unusual rank, second, the uniform looks 100% enlisted/issue. His Helmet and cover appear issue, well, most likely an NCO helmet but the cover looks issue. The breast badge is also catches my attention of unique.

I'd love to hear what others opine.

Very nice picture, especially with his full gear and Reichsrevolver 83! The badge seems to be the Erinnerungszeichen der preußischen Staatseisenbahn für 25 Jahre(Railway Faithful Service Decoration for 25 years), please have a look here: http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/deutsche-staaten/erinnerungszeichen-der-preusischen-staatseisenbahn-25-jahre.html

I wonder why he doesn´t wear a Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung or other long service award?!?!?

Edited by turtle

Yes, interesting that this man is so wonderfully dressed out and no other awards. The railway award makes me wonder why he wasn't assigned to the railway troops; but, he was probably a long servicing reserve infantry NCO. So, why is there no R above the 40? Is it because he was assigned to IR40, not RIR40?

Edited by ccj

"Yes, interesting that this man is so wonderfully dressed out and no other awards. The railway award makes me wonder why he wasn't assigned to the railway troops; "

I imagine his function at the Reichsbahn was maybe something that was of no use to a wartime railway system

If he was management level, arbeitsgruppe "passenger toilet comfort" or something..... ;-)

Indeed... if he was management... the "handwerkers" in that Abteilung went to the Artillery :-)

But of course, the master craftsmen and those with real skills always go to the more important branch of artillery.

Those with no practical skills and huge undeserved egos (ie management) of course go to the infantry.

Edited by IrishGunner

• 2 years later...

I would assume that he is in IR40. Odd that he would have a Reichsrevolver. Those were normally carried by artillery and other rear echelon troops. Looks like an Ausmarsch photo.

It is a studio photograph, and I have seen several of these showing men with the wrong rifles and / or bayonets, and so evidently studio 'props', I suspect that the revolver here may be just such a 'prop' to make our administrator look a tad more martial...