News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guess which maker this is.......

Actually yours wasn't a cinch, because many makers used this core. It was the frame that told me Godet, and only because I know their frames by heart now.

Here's one for you, and this one is easy. Only one maker used this core:

See what I mean? Same crown as the Godet but that one might be "R." I have to get my files to check the frames as I'm not so good on "R" frames.

I think an interesting way of seeing who mixed what.

Check the R frames (would be good to know), but it has a longer stamp on the ring....

Am I right in thinking that a foundry poured the cores and a stamping company made the frames? How many companys were big enough to be a foundry and a stamper?

You are sort of right. Cores were only cast (poured) in the early years of the war. It is my opinion that cast iron cores were made by foundries and bought by jewelers to make Iron Crosses. Anyway, this was how it was done in 1813 and 1870 and core-sharing was so epidemic that I'm quite sure it was done the same way in 1914-19??. Later in WWI, when everyone switched to painted stamped steel cores, my opinion is that more and more jewelers manufactured their own cores. Basically the same machinery that stamped frames could be used to make cores, so why not?

A few makers maintained the same designs from the cast to the stamped cores (Godet is one but there are others). For this and a few other reasons, I believe Godet may have had the facilities for casting cores as well as a press for stamping them.

OK, I thought it was soooo ugly only one would use it... it was HB...

Here is a thought....

Would foundry produced cores have totally died out? If they were producing, and had contracts, they would have kicked up a fuss if the ek makers suddenly said "we dont want any foundry cores anymore..." ,

Based on assumption, but I would think the foundries went on producing till the end, and due to the huge increase in the last two years, the stamped cores took over the slack, and began to way outnumber them at a certain point....

Here is a thought.... Would foundry produced cores have totally died out? If they were producing, and had contracts, they would have kicked up a fuss if the ek makers suddenly said "we dont want any foundry cores anymore..." Based on assumption, but I would think the foundries went on producing till the end, and due to the huge increase in the last two years, the stamped cores took over the slack, and began to way outnumber them at a certain point....

I suppose that's all possible in theory, but that is an awful lot of assumption and speculation ;) Also, the crosses themselves don't support the theory. Late war hardware on a cast core cross? Can't think of an example.

As for the crown you showed, it's such a common type, and used on so many, many early unmarked crosses, that I honestly couldn't begin to guess. With a crown like that, what we're really being asked to guess about is the frame -- same as the one just before. As I said, I think most of the easy ones are done (although I can think of a handful more).