News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanx Chris!

I see different infos about the shooing process. Ranges etc. Funny the word "Ziel-Laus"! (Target-louse).

Steenstraet indicates the pic in Flandres. Do you know the unit and the date?

I'd say this is firing data for planned/priority targets.

Steenstraelt, Ziel-Laus, and Gruppe D are all different planned targets or fire plans.

Under Ziel-Laus:

3 Ldg. / 96 gr. = Charge 3 - the powder charge to use

2695 = Deflection or direction in decigrades (circle/4000); this would be set off on the gunner's sight just below the numbers in the picture

4xx (the last set of numbers on the right are difficult to read) = Elevation; set on another sight - along with powder charge, elevation is related to range

I'd say this is firing data for planned/priority targets.

Steenstraelt, Ziel-Laus, and Gruppe D are all different planned targets or fire plans.

Under Ziel-Laus:

3 Ldg. / 96 gr. = Charge 3 - the powder charge to use

2695 = Deflection or direction in decigrades (circle/4000); this would be set off on the gunner's sight just below the numbers in the picture

4xx (the last set of numbers on the right are difficult to read) = Elevation; set on another sight - along with powder charge, elevation is related to range

Very good explanation, IG!

There is nothing to add! Thank you!!!

A relatively scarce gun...usually seen with Kolonial Truppen. The 9cm C/1873 Kanone

The second image is a 1930s Eckstein-Halpaus Dresden cigarette card showing the 9cm C/73 Kanone with Kolonial-Truppen in Battle of Hamakari

Edited by IrishGunner

A relatively scarce gun...usually seen with Kolonial Truppen. The 9cm C/1873 Kanone

The second image is a 1930s Eckstein-Halpaus Dresden cigarette card showing the 9cm C/73 Kanone with Kolonial-Truppen in Battle of Hamakari

Hi,

I have a group from a guy who was at Hamakari, It is here in 3 parts...

http://www.kaiserscross.com/310001/52401.html

Here is mine. I have no idea what's the name/model. But still, looks huge.

(click to enlarge please)

My references are of no help. Marcin, if you would like, I can post on another forum where some cannon experts linger... They might be able to give us an idea. I agree with Andy, it's a naval gun; not many were produced by Krupp that ended up on the rails. Of course, it could always be a French gun also.

Edited by IrishGunner

10.5cm leichte Feldhaubitze 98/09 (Rohrkrepierer) - a gun tube damaged by a round going off inside the tube - usually due to overheating from excessive firing. Unfortunately for the gunners - a common problem in WWI - thus a common photo.

Odulf, not far off topic, I think that's a Krupp 12cm Feldkanone M82. Krupp supplied a lot of guns to Bulgaria and this one was in the mix ...

See here: http://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian%20Artillery%201/01Bulgarian%20guns%201878-1915.htm

Coincidentally, I've just been discussing this gun on another forum. I have a photo of a Matrosen Artillerie crew with this gun in Flanders. Franz Kosar's book on artillery says this gun was supplied to Switzerland, but I can find no other image that comes close. A Swiss website on artillery mentions Schneider having a hand in the piece as well. And with the Bulgarian connection... Kosar's reference is probably off on which countries received this gun.

Here's my Matrosen 12cm M82: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/60399-marine-matrosen-artillerie/?p=568577

Edited by IrishGunner