News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

"UBIQUE" - Royal Artillery

I believe this is a hat badge, but that is all I'll guess about it.

I did a Google search using UBIQUE and found THREE hat badges;

1.Royal Regiment of Artillery

2.Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery

3.Royal Austrialian Artillery

All three show the same image, just different colours so I am a bit confused/

As usual, I'm sure I'll have info shortly.

As far as I can decipher, the words are:

QUO VAS ET GLORIA DUCUVT

TOP: UBIQUE

Thanks

Ed

Edited by speagle

Good Morning Ed......

This is a generic World War Two Artillery Badge..... The difference in colour is due to materials that the badges were made fron, Brass, Bronze and Copper......

In some cases where the word UBIQUE is located you can also find the words, Canada or Australia so therefore I think that this is British.....

Mike

This is indeed a WW2 vintage Royal Artillery cap badge. The crown is the key; George VI crown is only slightly different than the WW1 vintage George V crown. The main difference: GVI has closed arcs at the top; GV has open arcs. (QEII also has open arcs, but the arcs are more "heart" shaped.)

The scrolls are the Royal Artillery mottoes:

Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt (Where Right And Glory Lead)

Ubique (Everywhere) - this also is related to the fact that the artillery has been in every campaign and has no actual colours (or regimental flag); the Royal Artillery's colours are its guns.

Mike is right about the scrolls have variations like Canada instead of Ubique. I have WW1 RA badges with "NZ" (New Zealand) and "Volunteers" (territorial forces) in my collection.

I also have one that has "South Africa Suid Afrika" instead of Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducant. You can see this also with territorial badges like "Hants RGA Volunteers"

Edited by IrishGunner

Thanks Mervyn. Don't really want to get rid of it, but it's always nice to know as much as I can about my stuff.

So, how are things with you? Mom is doing very well. Just celebrated a nice Valentine's Day yesterday.

I'll continue to look in the nooks and crannies for more "stuff" :-)

Take care my friend.

Ed

Irish Gunner

Re your comment

'This is indeed a WW2 vintage Royal Artillery cap badge. The crown is the key; George VI crown is only slightly different than the WW1 vintage George V crown. The main difference: GVI has closed arcs at the top; GV has open arcs. (QEII also has open arcs, but the arcs are more "heart" shaped.)'

I'd be interested to know where you got this information. I've never heard or read this before and it's not borne out in practice. For example, I have an Army Remount Service badge which has the GRV cypher with closed arcs on the crown and Military Police and Royal Engineer badges with the GRVI cypher and open arcs on the crowns . Also badges to a number of WWII units when the King was George VI which have open arc King's Crowns. I suspect it's more to do with individual manufacturers' dyes.

Patrick

Irish Gunner

Re your comment

'This is indeed a WW2 vintage Royal Artillery cap badge. The crown is the key; George VI crown is only slightly different than the WW1 vintage George V crown. The main difference: GVI has closed arcs at the top; GV has open arcs. (QEII also has open arcs, but the arcs are more "heart" shaped.)'

I'd be interested to know where you got this information. I've never heard or read this before and it's not borne out in practice. For example, I have an Army Remount Service badge which has the GRV cypher with closed arcs on the crown and Military Police and Royal Engineer badges with the GRVI cypher and open arcs on the crowns . Also badges to a number of WWII units when the King was George VI which have open arc King's Crowns. I suspect it's more to do with individual manufacturers' dyes.

Patrick

Patrick, this is based upon my rudimentary (perhaps incomplete) personal observation of Royal Artillery cap badges. I did not intend to imply my impression applies universally to all KC cap badges. I also have not seen it written - even regarding RA badges. I looked in my very basic Wilkinson-Latham reference and did a quick Google search; most references mention simply the scroll varities and the option of spinning or fixed wheel on the gun. Of course, both GV and GVI KC are the "Tudor" crown and differences very well could just be manufacturer dye variations, but my impression is that WWI vintage RA badges have open arcs, while the closed arcs are of later manufacture.

I've posted the question on The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum to see how the experts respond.

Rick

Edited by IrishGunner

Patrick, this is based upon my rudimentary (perhaps incomplete) personal observation of Royal Artillery cap badges. I did not intend to imply my impression applies universally to all KC cap badges. I also have not seen it written - even regarding RA badges. I looked in my very basic Wilkinson-Latham reference and did a quick Google search; most references mention simply the scroll varities and the option of spinning or fixed wheel on the gun. Of course, both GV and GVI KC are the "Tudor" crown and differences very well could just be manufacturer dye variations, but my impression is that WWI vintage RA badges have open arcs, while the closed arcs are of later manufacture.

I've posted the question on The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum to see how the experts respond.

Rick

This is the response I received from a member of The British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum:

"there is no difference between the crowns whatsoever and the features you mention are just variations in die patterns/makers variations! Some of the earlier RA badges (c.WW1) can be found with hairpin sliders and strengthening to the rear of the crown, however these could have been worn for many, many years afterwards? The other "WW1" era RA badges would be the "Economy" variations (see here for an example) which can be found with several patterns of non-voiding! They are deffo WW1, but again could have been worn for several years!"

Proving once again the adage about "assumptions".

Nice badges, Rick. Is there a general "Show Your Badges" cap badge thread?

I don't know if there is a cap badge thread for all badges. I started the Royal Artillery badge thread some time ago... maybe a Moderator can move this thread into that RA badge thread...

Edited by IrishGunner

Rick

Hi Rick

Sorry, I hadn't realised you were talking specifically about RA. However, it's interesting to see the various responses on the topic. That 'Hate belt' posted by Ralph A looks superb!

Patrick

There is only this Badges and Uniforms section for British material. The South African and Australian sub Forums can also be used

for badges from the Countries listed. I don't think we need to move this thread - I have mixed feelings on doing this. I suppose it

must be preferable to have similar topics and replies together - however, sometimes a thread such as this one can lead to good

discussions and new material.

What do members think on this small point ? Mervyn

Mervyn,

I concur with your comments. I think we have better opportunities to learn more by "surfing" different forums. Sometimes, if we are looking for a certain topic, we tend to go to that one forum, read anything there, then either leave or look at one or two more then sign out.

To all who replied and posted additional pics/info; thanks again.

Ed