News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Engraved pocket watch... need help with research please.

Hi all. Hoping this is the right place for this. I've just been given this as a gift. A nice crossover between my hobbies of militaria and pocket watches (horology). An engraved watch case... this is the info I have on it:

Engraved German Silver presentation watch case to a Sgt Major W. Satchell of the Royal Horse Artillery in 1913.

Not sure what the W.O. in parens is... possibly Weapons Officer? Hoping someone can help on that. Also not sure what the "S" before the R.H.A. (Royal Horse Artillery?) stands for.

It's complete with the crystal... only needs a new movement/dial, etc., to make it complete. Assuming the original movement died over time and was removed for whatever reason. A shame as would have been nice had it all been kept together, even in non running condition.

No idea if it's possible to research this individual, or if so, what kind of info I might get... be nice to find out some personal info, where he served, any awards he might have received and what happened to him.

Anyhow, I'm hoping some of you that are far, far more knowlegeable than I might be able/willing to help me out with this. Will keep my fingers tightly crossed as I'd LOVE to put some history back with this item.

Many thanks! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Good Evening Dan.....

"Not sure what the W.O. in parens is... possibly Weapons Officer? Hoping someone can help on that. Also not sure what the "S" before the R.H.A. (Royal Horse Artillery?) stands for."

The W.O. stands for Warrant Officer hich is the equivalent to a Sergeant Major...... The "S" stands for "S" Battery, Royal Horse Artillery.....

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

S Bty RHA was stationed in India on the outbreak of war, and was sent to Mesopotamia in Feb 1915 where it spent the rest of the war.The War Diary is available at the National Archives at Kew in this file:WO 95/5087 "S" Battery Royal Horse Artillery 1915 Feb. - 1916 Dec.Larry

Isnt a Sgt Major a Warrant Officer. So that may be the answer

Isnt a Sgt Major a Warrant Officer. So that may be the answer

Warrant Officer is typically an appointment, rather than a rank. All Sergeants Major are W.O.s but not all W.O.s are S.M.s. A Troop Sergeant Major would be a W.O. [iII class], as would a Quartermaster Sergeant [also III Class], while an RSM would be a W.O.I