News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The fabulous collection of the 1911 (Delhi)

Last week, in Delhi, I stayed several nights at the Imperial Hotel.

OK, what so...? :sleep:

The Imperial Hotel is a high-end heritage hotel located at Janpath, just a step away from Connaught Place, in New Delhi. The Imperial was built and run by S.B.S. Ranjit Singh, son of R.B.S. Narain Singh who was honoured by the British Government for his commendable work on 1911?s Coronation Durbar where New Delhi was declared the new Capital of India.

But, what is remarkable for us, medals collectors ? :rolleyes:

The 1911 bar !!!!

The 1911 is the most famous bar of India, displaying more than 100 medals of the Maharajah and the India British Empire times.

The history : P.J. Singh started a private medal collection before he handed it over to the Imperial, where over 100 medals are now on display in four golden frames.

He is seen here.

I will post pictures of them.

Enjoy.

Ch.

Source : with the help of Andreas Augustin (www.famoushotels.org)

Edited by Christophe

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to break into C's thread, but the collection is amazing. (Though many of the stories the hotel staff tell need some, well, background . . . :P )

That bar does provide a lovely venue for the . . . er . . . um . . . informal "gatherings" of medal collectors in Delhi. Talk about a MEDAL BAR!! No names, please.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 4 weeks later...

Indian state of Patiala.

The Royal Phulkian Family Order - Knight Grand Commander, breast star.

I think these two are similar; or is there here a variation ?

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

The two are identical. What a waster of display space. Have tried persuading them to remedy that. :P

Will give the whole run-down. actually, I have my list somewhere. The British campaign medals are randomly arranged and many have very wrong ribbons, so ....

Ed, when you have time, please do so!!! You are more than welcome!! :jumping::jumping: These orders are really Terra Incognita to me... And, thanks to your works and some others', their mystery can be solved.

Cheers.

Ch.