News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The fabulous collection of the 1911 (Delhi)

• Replies 116
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indian state of Patiala.

The Royal Phulkian Family Order - Commander - Neck badge.

With the wrong ribbon (the one of the breast badge).

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Edited by Christophe

Indian state of Patiala.

The Order of The Holy Saint (Guru Ghar Manya Mandal) - Collar and collar badge.

This one is specifically difficult to photography. Sorry for the quality of the pic.

Ch.

Indian state of Patiala.

The Order of Merit (Nishan-i-Iftikhar) - Knight Grand Cross. Civil division. Sash badge.

I'm not sure it is the right ribbon...

Ch.

No, on Khedive's Sudan ribbon. Woudl guess a good one-third of their medals (even the easy British ones) are mis-ribboned. They don't care either.

Should look like this (though this is a lower class):

Edited by Ed_Haynes

8b

The collar badge.

Ch.

The Order of the Holy Saint they have is immensely bizarre and is probably a (unique, unreported, and unpublished) master's chain. A high agenda item is to get so eone with the key to open the case for photography for the next edition of McClenaghan's fine book. The jewel should look like:

(...). Woudl guess a good one-third of their medals (even the easy British ones) are mis-ribboned. They don't care either. (...)

Very nice order, Ed. :jumping:

About the two points you mentioned : how can you explain this ? Why are they mis-ribboned ? I've to say that the few medals I have seen for sale in India in "classic" antiques shops (not experts) were proposed... without ribbon !!! :speechless1:

Cheers.

Ch.

Very nice order, Ed. :jumping:

About the two points you mentioned : how can you explain this ? Why are they mis-ribboned ? I've to say that the few medals I have seen for sale in India in "classic" antiques shops (not experts) were proposed... without ribbon !!! :speechless1:

Cheers.

Ch.

Almost all medals that come to market in India are naked. Has to do with the mechanism by which they have (until VERY recently) come to market. Re-ribboning them is common habitual practice (however scandalous that may sound to the German collector crowd).

Medals from the States are a special problem though, as most of the ribbons are rarer than the medals themslelves. Except for Patiala (and some Bokaner) stuff that has come to market direct from the families (sort of), a naked State medal will stay naked 99.9% of the time. I have paid a lot for the few complete rolls (10 inches across) of some States ribbon that I hoard, even though I do not have medals to match.

The Order of the Holy Saint they have is immensely bizarre and is probably a (unique, unreported, and unpublished) master's chain. A high agenda item is to get so eone with the key to open the case for photography for the next edition of McClenaghan's fine book. The jewel should look like:

That's a very nice order. I have seen this picture in YOUR excellent site dedicated to Patiala State orders and medals :

http://faculty.winthrop.edu/haynese/medals...ls/Patiala.html

I can only recommand this site, as it allowed me to know more and more about all these unknown orders and medals. I confess I have seen them and taken pics without having the less idea of what they were.

Thanks again Ed :jumping::jumping::jumping: !!

Cheers.

Ch.

PS : about the order, I agree it is quite different. Sorry that my pics are not precise enough... I will have to go back there !!!!