News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WW1 german bayonet deutsche maschinenfabrik AG

I have a german bayonet deutsche maschinenfabrik ag. It still has the sawback on it. I've read that it was a 2nd pattern. The ears are short, no ring, guard has the numbers 1-992, has the imperial stamp but no date# or letter for which cypher. Right before the sharp edge side has a stamp 7 x or maybe I'm reading it backwards lol. Can't seem to find any markings on the metal scabbard. Trying to figure out the date, rarity, and maybe a price range on it. Anybody's guess? Thanks

WOW...thanks Eric. From the other forums I have read, they have stated a wurttemburg was very rare and worth something.

The only other numbers that appear on the bayonet as stated in my post can be seen in these pics.

It's a fun story how I came across this. My step dads grandfather gave this to him when he was 6yrs old. Said his grandfathers best friend served in the ww1 and brought this back to the states. When his friend died his wife gave my step- great grandfather a box of millita stuff. Thanks for your post. Maybe I can find a buyer for it if it is a wuttemburg.

Darren

I don't think that is a Württemberg mark. It appears just to be a normal inspection stamp (crown over a Gothic "D"). Most of these 84/98n/A S bayonets did not have the state stamp and date. I don't know what the other numbers mean. Thought they look to be period, they are not in the form of a typical unit mark.

Chip

• 3 months later...

I would appreciate if any of you could help me with the correct price for this bayonet. Thanks in advance. Regards

1902 Imperial German 98/02 Saw Back Bayonet pre WWI, numbered with matching numbered scabbard.
    Markings at the base of the blade show year of manufacture, "02" = 1902 and the emperor during that period "W" with the crown above it signifies Wilhelm II who ruled from 1888-1918
    Side of blade has "Erfurt" (manufacture/region)
    Possibly one of the most desirable bayonets of the 20th century, the Mauser 98/02. Originally issued to pioneers, railway pioneers and telegraph troops, this model of bayonet is highly desired amongst edge weapon collectors. Manufactured by Erfurt Gewehrfabrik, the production of the S98/02 began in 1902 and ceased in 1905, this example is with a very good blade is Imperial acceptance stamped, crown over 'W' over the date '02' with a crown over 'Erfurt' maker's mark.

The 98/02, while only being produced from 1902 till 1905, was issued into WWI to various units, including Pioneers, Telegraph and other communications, Foot Artillery, Railroad units.

Hello

First off I like the fact it appears not to be buffed up when you say numbered do you mean unit marked makes a difference for example if you say Garde Pioneer Chris Boz will probably swallow his computer.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

Just to add my 2c worth. There was no "Wurttemberg" cypher - unlike the Saxons and Bavarians they received weapons through the Prussians during WW1. So, other than a Wurttember unit marking on the crossguard it is impossible to tell if a bayonet was issued to Wurttemberg troops or Prussians. There are, however, a very few Ersatz and S14 bayonets that were thought to be made exclusively for Wurttemberg troops.

The value of the S98/02 depends upon its unit stamp and whether it has a matching marking on the scabbard. They are not that rare but a matching example will be valuable. Bye to all Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. Yes I would like to sell it, but I´m not clear yet the real price because I have found price in internet from £350 to £1650

I´m attaching more pictures

Thanks for your comments

Regards

Juan Pablo

Hello Juan

It is a very nice S98/02 made by Erfurt in the most common year 1902 but marked to the 2nd Saxon Pionner Batallion. Such a shame it is not a perfect match between scabbard and bayonet. Nevertheless, I am fairly confident it would get you more than $US 2,000 on ebay. If it was perfectly matching it would be > $2,500 easy.

Best wishes

Allan