Expectations on new Wernitz EK book?

Hi Trevor,

do you include the 1813 - 1870 in that for volume II ?

Yes indeed I do. There must be an equal number of authentic EK types missing as present for the 1870s. He didn't try to put together a sample of every known type (impossible as that may be); he simply documented a handful of important collections. That's it.

But if you want to know about production techniques, schedules, designs, cultural significance, etc., consult Vol. I and you're good to go.

• 4 weeks later...

Guys... just wondered but if one had to make a choice between The Iron Time (Assuming the 2nd edition fixed the errors and added new material?) or the two volume set... which would be the one to go with?

Many thanks!

Dan

They're really different books.

If you're an EK enthusiast, get The Iron Time. If you're an EK scholar (or hope to be), get Wernitz.

I have both and wouldn't be without them.

Edited by Streptile
  • 8 months later...

I agree. I just got the book. If u want technicalities of a medal only, the iron time is great.

Wernitz's book is a history with the technical aspects. That being said in the book is absolutely amazing!! I just received my copy this Christmas and I haven't been able to put it down. One book is just specifically on the technical aspects of the iron Cross. The other book is a history of the iron cross from the contemplation of a metal actual

Sorry my smart phone cut me off!! The book goes into the contemplation of a medal to the actual awarding of the iron cross during the Wars of Liberation. The historical depth of the information from the Napoleonic wars is amazing. If you enjoy military history this is definitely the book for you. I would give the book 10 out of five stars if I could.

I'm really keen to get this on the basis that it addresses the history of the award in the military and political sense. A good look at the history of the campaigns in which the cross became an important emblem would be fantastic for me. I'm afraid I'm a bit of a completist and the thought of a further look into the subject gets me a tad moist of brow.

If as you say Chris the book is that good in this department then I really think it will have a place on my shelf next to the Iron Time and all the others.

I really think you will like it Glen. I never knew the different foundries that were used for the 1813 Ic. The book goes into good depth on where the iron came from for the cross. This is tied into the Prussian situation after 1805 to 1813. The Russian campaign and Yorick are covered well without being an entire book itself. I have not gotten to 1870 yet, as I rereading the 1813 section.

Thanks Chris. That's recommendation enough for me. Just waiting for the post Xmas pay day then I shall be investing.

This is the kind of information for me that attracts me far more than technical specs. Although admittedly that can be very useful and interesting.