News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Swedish volunteer in Finland 1918

Here is a survivor from the 800 man strong volunteer force who fought in the Finnish Liberty War 1918

Hes name is Paulus Drewes and the photo is from 1921.

He was awarded Swedish North Star Order Knight , Swedish Vasa Order Knight , Danish Dannebrog Order Knight , Norway S:t Olav Order Knight , Finnish White Rose Order Knight , Finnish Liberty Cross 3rd class wo Swords.

The last medal was only awarded to 29 Swedish if my info is right.

Christer

• 2 months later...

Hello,

from what information do you conclude that he fought in Finland 1918 as a Swedish volunteer?

The cross of liberty is the civil one and not with the fighting swords.

Regards, Stefan

Hi stefan , thats totally right I have researched him further and he was never a volunteer in Finland :) He was a sucessful business man.

Instead he helped the Finnish from Sweden and got this quite high order ( Liberty Cross 3rd class wo swords )

Am I right with only 29 awarded to Swedish ?

Quite unusual to see photos with non fighter crosses :unsure:

Christer

Hello Christer,

you might try to research if he took part in Föreningen finlands vänner (The friends of Finland´s society) that supported the finnish cause in Sweden at the time.

Sorry, I don't know the total amount awards wo swords, it's hard enought to find the ones with swords :-)

Photos with Swedes that got finnish 1918 medals are always nice to see.

Regards, Stefan