News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Decorations from the collections of the Serbian museums

paja

As Paul mentioned the presence of Golden Fleece badges, for what its worth, I checked the list of Golden Fleece members since 1800 (both the Spanish as Austrian branch) against the Princely families Dragomir mentioned. 

in 1863 Ludwig III, Grand Duke of Baden received the Spanish Golden Fleece and in 1878 Friedrich Wilhelm, Grand Duke of Baden also received the Spanish Golden Fleece. No mention of the house of Toerring-Jettenbach. Of course this does not mean much as the jewels could have been inherited from related families, but perhaps a small hint in the right direction.

• Replies 671
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pieter,

During the 80s and 90s especially I did many schloss valuations in both eastern and western Europe, the Golden Fleeces were in a totally different setting from the St Lazar but they were bruisers, one in diamonds, the other in emeralds.

Paul

You are away for couple of days and then you read St. Lazar survived all these years and is kept by some German Princely Family. Paul, thank you very much for revealing these information! I suppose most of us knew that that is a possibility but this is the first time someone actually confirmed it. One can only hope the order will see the light of day again, perhaps Karađorđević family will manage to return it to the rightful owner and fatherland now after some light has been shed on the subject.

Edited by paja

On 6/28/2016 at 17:33, paja said:

Silver Medal for Zealous Service for Woman 1876-1878 in original box, National Museum Užice, exhibited during this year's Night of the Museums.
    01.jpeg

Golden Medal for Bravery 1912
    02.jpeg

I found more information regarding these two decorations in publication "Decorations from the Collection of the National Museum in Užice" (original title "Одликовања из збирке Народног музеја, Ужице").

01.JPG
    Medal was awarded to Vladislav J. Jagodić (Владислав Ј. Јагодић) who participated in Balkan Wars and WW1
    Gift

02.JPG
    Silver Medal for Zealous Service for Woman 1876-1878 awarded to Stana A. Đ. Popović (Стана А. Ђ. Поповић) on February 11. 1879
    Gift

03.JPG
    Document that came with the medal above

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings and welcome to the forum!
    Most of the photos from this topic were found on various web sites, but still thanks. 
    Whenever I notice something interesting I post it here.

Edited by paja

As a matter of fact, it could not be a gift! The Law about Order of St. Lazarus was very, very short, and very, very explicit! That Order was be worn only by the King and his Crown Prince when of full age (for the Crown Prince full age was declared to be at 18, for all others at 21). There were, correspondingly, only two pieces made, and the third one was, allegedly, made in 1940 as a personal gift from Prince Regent Paul to the King Peter II to celebrate King`s  coming if age, which was to come in 1941. The said third exemplar was mentioned only in memoirs of the the sculptor Ivan Meshtrovich, and by no one else.

Dragomir

Dear Sir Dragomir,

as a patriot and a collector of serbian decorations I am asking you to do everything to investigate further infos about the collar of St. Lazar order. You have the connections among serbian politicians and the royal household to push forward and become a hero of fatherland if you bring back home this historic treasure !

In name of the serbian people please get in contact with Mr. Paul Wood and bring it back - your name will be forever known among whole Serbdom !!!

Dear Serbman, Dear Paul,

I am afraid that my influence and connections are far from being sufficient to untangle the mystery of St. Lazarus Collar! I would like very much to contribute, and to the extent that my abilities would allow, I am ready to try. However, I understand very well the standpoint of Paul Wood and the obligation to confidentiality he has to maintain. The hints that were offered in the correspondence so far were most welcome, and I shall try to follow that. What would the result be, however, remains to be seen. If one day the Collar emerges, nobody would be happier than me. Untill such day arives, let us hope!

Dragomir

Dear Jovan,
    I can't thank you enough for posting that document! May I ask you is it a part of your collection? If not could you please tell me where is it kept? The recipient in question is brother of my direct-line ancestor!
    It must be extremely rare because even Car&Muhić wrote that it's not known were documents being issued for the first type of Serbian Red Cross Order (Principality era type). This is the first time I see it!
    Regards,
    Radmilo

Museum of Yugoslav History 

Tito's uniform
    01.jpeg

Tito's and Kardelj's File
    02.jpeg

Interesting German wanted posters for Draža Mihailović "the bandit leader" and Tito "the communist leader"
    Award: 100.000 Reichsmarks in gold
    03.jpeg

Source: http://www.blic.rs/kultura/vesti/tito-i-draza-izasli-iz-podruma-muzej-istorije-jugoslavije-otvorio-depo-za-posetioce/nn53c2k

Edited by paja

• 1 month later...

THE OBRENOVIĆ DYNASTY – DECORATIONS AND MONEY
    Thirty-nine panels displayed at the Sava Promenade will show decorations, coins and banknotes issued during the reign of the Obrenović dynasty (1815–1839; 1858–1903). The presented items are part of the Collection of Coins and Medals of the Belgrade City Museum.
    p1apd1r7u4dof156p1jnvg4senr4.jpgp1apd1r7u4sv1jkf2ec1sj3jola.jpgp1apd1r7u41pv31303gbt1bre1rh65.jpgp1apd1r7u43le14tmafc2v1a366.jpgp1apd1r7u47ca1pr9kkvenn11t97.jpgp1apd1r7u48e8ucno5s14fq1rd09.jpgp1apd1r7u4185muje1aq1rko102t8.jpg

Source: http://www.mgb.org.rs/en/desavanja/izlozbe/2016/item/1291-dinastija-obrenovic-odlikovanja-i-novac

Medal for Devotion
    1.-medalja-za-privrzenost.jpg

Cross for Devotion
    2.-zlatni-krst-za-privrzenost.jpg

Order of the Cross of Takovo 3rd Class
    3.-orden-takovskog-krsta-III-stepena (1).jpg

Medal for Zealous Service for Woman 1876-1878
    4.-medalja-kneginje-natalije-za-revnosnu-sluzbu.jpg

50 para from 1875 minted in Vienna
    5.-prvi-srebrni-novac_-iskovan-1875.-u-carsko-kraljevskoj-kovnici-u-becu.jpg

First test banknotes printed in 1876, which were never put into circulation because of the outbreak of the Serbo-Turkish war.
    6.-jedan-dinar-prve-probne-novcanice-stampane-1876.jpg

Source: http://www.danubeogradu.rs/2016/08/izlozba-dinastija-obrenovic-odlikovanja-i-novac/

Any ideas about that 3rd class Takovo? Unusual crown and central medallions. Someone repaired the order by replacing missing parts?
    Visible hallmarks under the crown, unfortunately I can't read them, KF usualy put them there. Also the "base" looks like it could be from that producer...
    01.JPG02.JPG03.JPG04.JPG

The selection is better at night ;)
    I especially like when that guy from the Secretariat for Culture says how Serbian people must have been very happy when they got their own currency in the second half of the TWENTIETH century :speechless:

Edited by paja

• 2 weeks later...

Exhibition "Vojvoda Petar Bojović - Decorations of Glory and Honor" (Војвода Петар Бојовић - знамења славе и части) will be held at Serbian Presidency building starting from tomorrow! 
    Vojvoda's son Dobroslav gave the decorations to Kosta Rakić to safeguard them around 60 years ago! Mr. Rakić who is now 94 years old decided it's finally time to present them to the public! According to information I found in couple of articles the collection consists of 26 decorations (not all were saved) including Order of the Star of Karađorđe 2nd class and Order of the White Eagle with swords 1st class! 

Politika: http://www.politika.rs/sr/clanak/363428/Proboj-vojvode-Petra-Bojovica-iz-zaborava
    Večernje novosti: http://www.novosti.rs/vesti/naslovna/reportaze/aktuelno.293.html:624930-Deda-Kosta-sacuvao-vojvodino-ordenje

00.jpg

Edited by paja

Few pages from the catalog found here
    Medal bar, notice the scarce Golden Bravery Medal 1885-86, apart from that Order of Dannebrog and Order of the Redeemer
    Order of the Cross of Takovo 3rd class (Fleischhacker)
    Bulgarian Order of Military Merit 2nd class (Schwerdtner)
    French Legion of Honor 1st class
    01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg

Edited by paja